Oxygenating MTS - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Oxygenating MTS

I might be far out in left field on this, but I usually am so nothing new. Would it help at all by adding H2o2 to a wet cycle of MTS to help oxygenate it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would not. H2O2 can kill bacteria, and at least some of what you are doing is allowing bacteria to do their stuff.

1 tablespoon H2O2 per gallon of water that you would use would be safe, but of little benefit. The H2O2 loses its oxygen pretty easily (that is what you want) but I do not know if it would stick around through the several days of soaking.

If you want to increase the oxygen, just stir the soil a few times per day, lifting it up through the water and into the air.
Each time you go through a dry cycle that is adding oxygen, too. Maybe it does not get all used up so fast?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Couldn't you just run an airstone or bubble wand or something UNDER the soil?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 02:55 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffww View Post
Couldn't you just run an airstone or bubble wand or something UNDER the soil?
I agree. I don't think you need any of the co2 produced during the cycling process. then air stone is perfect no?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That sounds like a decent idea. It is supposed to snow here this week and I dont think laying it out in the tarp is going to go very quickly. I will be able to put it somewhere and dry it out like I am supposed to but I am afraid that it simply wont mineralize like I want it to.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Mineralizing is a natural process that will occur whether you want it to or not. Once you take the soil away from sources of organic nitrogen, and get it into a relatively thin layer, so oxygen can get to it, the bacteria in the soil will mineralize the soil - oxidize the organic nitrogen compounds to nitrates. The time that takes can be excessive, so we help out by using a very thin layer, in the sun, and repeated wetting and drying, or we just bake it in the oven and let the heat do the mineralizing. The last batch I made, during a rainy spell, I only did one cycle, but the rain kept rewetting it for me. After one drying out, the soil had no smell when wet, so it was "done".

Hoppy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Mineralizing is a natural process that will occur whether you want it to or not. Once you take the soil away from sources of organic nitrogen, and get it into a relatively thin layer, so oxygen can get to it, the bacteria in the soil will mineralize the soil - oxidize the organic nitrogen compounds to nitrates. The time that takes can be excessive, so we help out by using a very thin layer, in the sun, and repeated wetting and drying, or we just bake it in the oven and let the heat do the mineralizing. The last batch I made, during a rainy spell, I only did one cycle, but the rain kept rewetting it for me. After one drying out, the soil had no smell when wet, so it was "done".
Why is it important to mineralised the soil?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Read the sticky at the top of this forum about MTS. Basically it is allowing the nutrients in the soil to become more available to plants and thus avoiding algae feeding on them like wild fire. But the sticky explains it much better than I can.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Just boil the soil for 10min in water.

The bacteria will recolonize in a couple of weeks anyway and the soil will be mineralized as soon as you remove the soil and add it to a tank, the bacterial colonies will need to adapted to the new conditions either way.

This is simple and works very well for those not as patient to wait 3 weeks for the it mineralize, the other method is to mineralize in the tank itself or do a DSM.

This way you get 2 things done at once and less time wasted waiting.......

But what do I know??

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aubzilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Just boil the soil for 10min in water.

The bacteria will recolonize in a couple of weeks anyway and the soil will be mineralized as soon as you remove the soil and add it to a tank, the bacterial colonies will need to adapted to the new conditions either way.

This is simple and works very well for those not as patient to wait 3 weeks for the it mineralize, the other method is to mineralize in the tank itself or do a DSM.

This way you get 2 things done at once and less time wasted waiting.......

But what do I know??
....really?!
Can you explain a bit more? Like, do you need to skim the pot while boiling?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 01:36 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
Read the sticky at the top of this forum about MTS. Basically it is allowing the nutrients in the soil to become more available to plants and thus avoiding algae feeding on them like wild fire. But the sticky explains it much better than I can.
Thanks for the one paragraph explanation. I rather have this then a really long sticky.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode