New black diamond blasting sand for 75g - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New black diamond blasting sand for 75g

Hey everyone went and picked up some bdbs from tractor supply today and was wondering if this was the same stuff every one is using ?

Seems to look different than what I've seen in other posts?

It has small brown peices in it. Is that normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190527_204510_1559004462527.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	882111  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190527_204304_1559004475071.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	882113  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
That looks like it , new graphics on bag maybe . Last I got had the brown bits too , but no problems with using it .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
That looks like it , new graphics on bag maybe . Last I got had the brown bits too , but no problems with using it .
Awesome! I think I'm going to start a thread on the progress of this tank. I just sprayed the back of the glass with black plasti dip. Hoping to get the bdbs in the tank tommorow!

Thanks!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:11 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
yep looks like the same stuff. does look like a different bag though. I have gotten a bag or 2 that have the brown pieces in it. one thing I recommend is put some in a bucket or cup and see if the surface of the water has an oily residue before adding it to a tank. i personally have not run into this issue but i have seen post on another forum showing that it had this petroleum type substance on it.
Leeatl likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodom1 View Post
Hey everyone went and picked up some bdbs from tractor supply today and was wondering if this was the same stuff every one is using ?
Yes, that's it. Still have a bag riding shotgun in my mustang that I've failed to bring in the house.

Little brown to red bits are normal but not too many.

If it appears to rinse oily rinse smaller portions of it in hot water.
Leeatl likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:38 AM
Algae Grower

I got about the same thing from Harbor Freight. Small print on the bag notes Black Diamond, and it was quite fine and had no brown bits in it. Worked just fine.
Maryland Guppy likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:26 PM
Algae Grower

Has anyone noticed broken wire strands in their bds? I've gotten a bag off eBay claiming it can be used as aquarium substrate but the many broken wire strands gets me worried. Btw, these strands are not magnetic as I thought of using a magnet which didn't magnetize it. "sigh"

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodom1 View Post

Seems to look different than what I've seen in other posts?

It has small brown peices in it. Is that normal?

Are those broken wire strands in the mix?

Started out, thinking it's a 5gal. tank chore for my grandkid want, now, it's turned into a expensive hobby that I've got only myself to blame fer.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Broken wire strands? As in real wire?

Cant say it doesn't surprise me.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocho View Post
Has anyone noticed broken wire strands in their bds? I've gotten a bag off eBay claiming it can be used as aquarium substrate but the many broken wire strands gets me worried. Btw, these strands are not magnetic as I thought of using a magnet which didn't magnetize it. "sigh"

Bump:

Are those broken wire strands in the mix?
Do you have any pictures of this??
Pocho likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:10 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Do you have any pictures of this??

if you look in the op's 2nd picture, about 1/3 down from top and in middle you can see what I'm talking bout.
ps sorry for the post in this thread as I've found another pointing to the same objects(wire strands, imo) in which Burr posted pictures of this. He says it's no problemo, sooo I guess it's normal.

Started out, thinking it's a 5gal. tank chore for my grandkid want, now, it's turned into a expensive hobby that I've got only myself to blame fer.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
So its not wire, it just looks like wire? Or, is it actually sharp pointed like wire?

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocho View Post
if you look in the op's 2nd picture, about 1/3 down from top and in middle you can see what I'm talking bout.
ps sorry for the post in this thread as I've found another pointing to the same objects(wire strands, imo) in which Burr posted pictures of this. He says it's no problemo, sooo I guess it's normal.
Okay of you are talking about the picture in the other BDBs thread running right now then yes, those are just normal parts. Nothing to worry about.

I thought you were talking more of a foreign object of some sort!

|

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's not wire strands it's still coal slag,more like little "glass" tubes, I haven't really found that fish have a problem with it even with fish that take the substrate into their mouth and spit it out, those pieces just happened to be narrow enough to get through their screens for size imo, you would need a different stage than screening into different grits to remove those "wire" pieces.

Maybe some coal slag has actual bits of wire but I've never personally seen it.
burr740 likes this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:55 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
So its not wire, it just looks like wire? Or, is it actually sharp pointed like wire?

I don't know for sure if it's wire as some of the thicker pieces are hard to crack since it's a short piece but the thin pieces I've snapped in 1/2, in the batch that I've been trying to weed out what I can of these wirery looking pieces, some of them are 1/4" - 1/2" needle thin and sharp. I got stuck a couple of times, lol. Today my neighbors across the street came home and saw me meticulously going thru my coal slage hand by hand, I could hear chuckles as they got out and figure they were talking between themselves of me panning for Gold, lol. Geez, I'm almost ready to throw in the towel and go get some Petco Black sand, Eco-complete or Flourite Black(not the sand).
Some are thicker too but not as sharp. I've still got 10 lbs to weed out so I'll take some pics.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobblebonk View Post
It's not wire strands it's still coal slag,more like little "glass" tubes, I haven't really found that fish have a problem with it even with fish that take the substrate into their mouth and spit it out, those pieces just happened to be narrow enough to get through their screens for size imo, you would need a different stage than screening into different grits to remove those "wire" pieces.

Maybe some coal slag has actual bits of wire but I've never personally seen it.
yeah, since someone mentioned there could be glass in the slag coal I was figuring it could be strands of melted glass or if coal slage melts then... and some of them are sewing needle thin and sharp. Don't ask how I know cause I've stabbed myself more than once walking on them needles my wife somehow drops in the carpet. Yikes!
Discusluv likes this.

Last edited by Pocho; 06-04-2019 at 12:24 AM. Reason: added wording
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
At one point this was all a molten material, drips can occur during cooling etc..
Yes this can produce pointed pieces of irregular grit.

Don't mind the little things!

Growing is not that difficult.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode