Managing dust with Flourite - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Managing dust with Flourite

I have an established tank, it has Black Diamond blasting sand, I would like to add a layer of Flourite primarily for aesthetic reasons. I like the variegated appearance of it. However, I keep reading horror stories of how much dust it stirs up any time you move the plants. Are there any tips for managing this? Will a thorough rinse be enough, or am I doomed for days of cloudiness after any rescape, no matter what I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse and then rinse some more.

After you've rinsed, rinse again and then again.

Put in an old pillow case and run water through it / rinse again.

Rinse a final time or 10 times and you should be good.

Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hmmm.... after all that rinsing, will I have any Flourite left?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
I use a colander and rinse a couple of pounds at a time. Once it runs clear, I then put it in a bucket with water and see how much dust is left. Usually there is still too much and I follow Quag's protocol.

It will settle eventually, but it's as bad as you've probably heard. I pay the extra for Eco-Complete these days just to avoid the rinsing.
Quagulator likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I don't like the Eco Complete appearance quite as much, but I have been considering it (the red version). Perhaps I will go with that instead.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Rinse like I mentioned, then fill the tank by siphoning water from a pail using airline.

That way you wont disturb it. Works for me anyway...

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
The quickest way I've found is to prop up a bucket at about a 45 degree angle outside and put a little fluorite( 5lbs or so) in at a time. Then blast the snot out of it with a garden hose and let the dirty water run out. Keep blasting it back and forth to churn it up while the dirty water pours off. It's heavy enough to stay in the bucket and when the water runs clear, its pretty clean. You need decent water pressure from the spigot/hose to be effective and it uses a lot of water but I keep moving around my yard and justify it by telling myself I'm watering the lawn

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Best to just fork and mix it in with top .5” layer of your black blast as about a 50/50 mix. You’ll keep easy plantability of blast sand and you’ll only need to use a little of fluorite. Very easy to rinse smaller amounts you’ll need of it clear in a bucket using a cheap 7-8” mesh strainer like this you can get at Walmart etc. Like you said you just need some on top for aesthetic reasons.

Any haze that comes from mixing it in if your filter pads are kind of dirty they usually clear it up in a day, then do your water change and clean filter pads as normal and your right back to a clear tank. I actually keep the .5mm stuff that makes it through sieve, it’s great for adding to potting soil when doing house plants.
naturelady likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
The quickest way I've found is to prop up a bucket at about a 45 degree angle outside and put a little fluorite( 5lbs or so) in at a time. Then blast the snot out of it with a garden hose and let the dirty water run out. Keep blasting it back and forth to churn it up while the dirty water pours off. It's heavy enough to stay in the bucket and when the water runs clear, its pretty clean. You need decent water pressure from the spigot/hose to be effective and it uses a lot of water but I keep moving around my yard and justify it by telling myself I'm watering the lawn

This is what I did when rinsing sand a few months ago. It worked really well. I was wondering if it would work as well with Flourite, or if the water pressure would break up the Flourite particles.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Best to just fork and mix it in with top .5” layer of your black blast as about a 50/50 mix. You’ll keep easy plantability of blast sand and you’ll only need to use a little of fluorite. Very easy to rinse smaller amounts you’ll need of it clear in a bucket using a cheap 7-8” mesh strainer like this you can get at Walmart etc. Like you said you just need some on top for aesthetic reasons.

Any haze that comes from mixing it in if your filter pads are kind of dirty they usually clear it up in a day, then do your water change and clean filter pads as normal and your right back to a clear tank. I actually keep the .5mm stuff that makes it through sieve, it’s great for adding to potting soil when doing house plants.

Yeah, I was just going to buy one bag, and however much it fills, that's all I get. I hadn't considered mixing with the blast sand, but that's a great idea. I think it will look fine and have some benefits when planting.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:41 AM
Planted Member

I put mine in the garden.........

Seriously. It was way to annoying however in my case I got the bag that said it doesnt require rinsing. I initially thought I could cap it with gravel however with Cory cats it was a continual dust storm.

Switched to the equivalent of PFS and have a nice clear tank now.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

First time i used Flourite red, i had to remove it from the tank, rinsed it and start over.

However all that i did was i did put it in a bucket under the tap, let water poured in while moving the Flourite with my hands until water was clear.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:14 AM
Algae Grower

I just put together my first planted aquarium and used Flourite. I read lots of stories about it making a mess unless it was thoroughly rinsed, and the method I used resulted in perfectly clean substrate. It's clean enough that I can move the substrate around and nothing happens to the water. It's basically the same method gold panners use to classify their materials.

I used three 5 gallon buckets, but any containers would do. I dumped one bag at a time into a 5 gallon bucket & mixed it around with my hands, then poured the dirty water off. I did this a couple of times, which removed most of the fine particles. I completely filled a second 5 gallon bucket with water, then scooped a cupful at a time of the Flourite into a wire kitchen strainer (no idea about the mesh size), shook it around in the water, then dumped the clean Flourite into the third bucket. The sand sized particles went through the strainer, leaving the larger stuff rinsed and clean. I did refill the second bucket after the first bag.

I wound up with a couple of pounds of sand sized particles in the second bucket and strained that even further with a finer mesh wire screen. I only did this as there was still some finer stuff mixed in that looked like mud and I thought I might use the sand in a small aquarium. The sand came out perfectly clean, as well.

There are lots of videos on Youtube of gold panners classifying their dirt, and that'll give you a good idea of what I did. It took about an hour to clean two 15 pound bags.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:04 PM
Algae Grower

I have a Flourite substrate and had no issue with dust. I used paint filter bags you can pick up at Home Depot, two buckets, and took my time. Dust has never been an issue.

I mixed their Black, Black Sand, and Dark products together and in my opinion the result was a very natural looking substrate. Take a look at adding just Dark to your black sand. It'll look some thing like this. Excuse the bare look, I just replanted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1559257362863309693781_1559257395426.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	882223  

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:21 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelady View Post
I have an established tank, it has Black Diamond blasting sand, I would like to add a layer of Flourite primarily for aesthetic reasons. I like the variegated appearance of it. However, I keep reading horror stories of how much dust it stirs up any time you move the plants. Are there any tips for managing this? Will a thorough rinse be enough, or am I doomed for days of cloudiness after any rescape, no matter what I do?
That's because they didn't rinse it enough. It's still stirs up dust when you move plants, but it doesn't cloud the tank.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:50 PM
Algae Grower

I put mine in a bucket, like others, stuck a hose in the bucket and let it run for maybe 15 minutes as a medium flow. All the fine particles overflowed the top of the bucket and flushed out. I never got the water to run clean, but what was left over went straight into my tank, didn't make a mess, and I've never had issues.

For full disclosure, I tried using Flourite without rinsing and it was a disaster that never cleared no matter how much time or water changes I did.

But, the simple bucket rinse has worked perfectly. Maybe on day one of putting it in aquarium, the water will look a tad cloudy, but this clears fast.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode