ADA amazonia cycling - I've made mistakes, please help - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KeeperOfASilentWorld

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA amazonia cycling - I've made mistakes, please help

Hi everyone!

I'm starting up a planted 12g tank with ADA amazonia. I've got a couple of plants in there, and a filter (it's my betta's future home, he's currently making do in a 2.5g).

I misunderstood the cycling instructions I initially got, and failed to do 95-100% water changes the first few days. I did a couple 50% changes, and then left it alone for about 2 weeks. Now, it's at the point where it's got about 5ppm nitrites and 160ppm nitrates, and the ammonia has gone down from about 3 ppm 4-5 days ago to ~0.75ppm today.

Should I do the recommended water changes now? Or let it be? I'm referencing the below instructions:

"Add Substrate to the aquarium.
Fill the aquarium with water.
Activate filter.
Perform a 95-100% water change in 24 hours.
Perform another 95-100% water change 24 hours later.
Perform a 50% water change 24 hours later.
Add any live plants you plan on adding.
If you have filter media from an established aquarium add the media to the filter.
Watch Ammonia levels and Nitrite levels.
The aquarium should be fully cycled in 1.5-2 weeks. 0ppm Ammonia and nitrite indicate a fully cycled aquarium and it is ready for inhabitants."

from https://www.theshrimpfarm.com/articl...l-amazonia.php

Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The shrimpfarm instructions is not what ADA recommends for Amazonia and it usually takes a month to add new fish not 1.5-2 weeks.

This comes up over and over again when starting up a tank with aquasoil. The recommended quidelines are:

1st week - 50% wc every day.
2nd week - 50% wc every other day
3rd week - 50% wc every 3rd day
4th week - 50% wc once a week and thereafter

You plant from Day 1. The easiest way to plant is before you even fill the tank. You put just enough water in to cover the substrate. It's much easier to plant that way. There's NO reason not to plant from day 1 if you are doing the water changes, etc.

Always test water before adding livestock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamecakes View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm starting up a planted 12g tank with ADA amazonia. I've got a couple of plants in there, and a filter (it's my betta's future home, he's currently making do in a 2.5g).

I misunderstood the cycling instructions I initially got, and failed to do 95-100% water changes the first few days. I did a couple 50% changes, and then left it alone for about 2 weeks. Now, it's at the point where it's got about 5ppm nitrites and 160ppm nitrates, and the ammonia has gone down from about 3 ppm 4-5 days ago to ~0.75ppm today.

Should I do the recommended water changes now? Or let it be? I'm referencing the below instructions:

"Add Substrate to the aquarium.
Fill the aquarium with water.
Activate filter.
Perform a 95-100% water change in 24 hours.
Perform another 95-100% water change 24 hours later.
Perform a 50% water change 24 hours later.
Add any live plants you plan on adding.
If you have filter media from an established aquarium add the media to the filter.
Watch Ammonia levels and Nitrite levels.
The aquarium should be fully cycled in 1.5-2 weeks. 0ppm Ammonia and nitrite indicate a fully cycled aquarium and it is ready for inhabitants."

from https://www.theshrimpfarm.com/articl...l-amazonia.php

Thanks everyone
change the water when you can until the ammonia levels are down (testing kit) you can add some seachem prime to help breakdown the ammonia.

I made a mistake of not doing any water changes and added fish. Most of them jumped out. But I had some survivors.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:59 PM
Algae Grower

Do a big water change to bring the nitrates down. High nitrates ( over 160 ppm ) suppresses the bacterial activity.
Maryland Guppy likes this.

Instagram Account: @KeeperOfASilentWorld

Tags
ada amazonia, planted tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode