can i avoid plant substrates? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question can i avoid plant substrates?

I am starting a new 75 gallon tank soon and I am wondering if I can grow plants well in non plant substrate gravel?

The gravel I want is a natural looking gravel that has very small pebbles, but is larger than sand. I dont know what its called but the peices are rounded and looks very nice in my opinion.

Could I get away with using root tabs or should i do a bottom layer of some type (laterite)? Or is this a bad idea and I should just use a plant substrate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
You could use a plant substrate and top with that gravel if you just want the look of the gravel. It might mix some over time though, depending on the two substrates. I think using plain gravel would depend on what types of plants you want to keep, and if you intend on dosing ferts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I plan on dosing ferts, root tabs, or root fert injection, i also will be doing co2 injection.

If I were to get a plant substrate I will likely go with flourite black, or regular flourite.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have some small brown pebble gravel mixed with regular flourite in my tank now. I thought I would like it for a natural look, but it seems too light to me sometimes because alot of the pebbles are almost white. I don't really have a good dosing regimen yet, and have not started co2 yet either (Just Flourish and Excel). Most of my plants have done ok though. They're not dying. They grow, but don't look as good as other members tanks here. I'm sure it can be done better than mine is if you know what your doing, but I don't I'm personally planning to switch to MTS soon, because I think it would be easier to maintain than a dosing schedule. I don't want to worry about it if I'm too busy with work to attend to the tank for a while.

If you stick with the easier plants you should be ok. I have an Amazon sword that grows well with a root tab by it. Doesn't grow fast, but looks good and did give me three baby swords last month. Wysteria has grown fast for me, but always gets black algea on the older leaves. The apongenton bulbs they sell at the store grow really fast and reproduce like rabbits once they sprout from the bulb in there. Java fern has grown slowly, as they usually do, but appears healthy. A Jungle Val kind of died of (probly from the excel) but has bounced back and looks better now. That's what I've experienced so far, but I'm still learning alot. Like I said, better dosing and CO2 will probably give nicer results.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
You have lots of options if you don't want to shell out for the more expensive commercial plant substrates.

Check out the Mineralized Topsoil sticky at the top of this forum.

Another cheap but good alternative that I recently switched to and am enjoying is a layer of Miracle Gro Organic Choice potting mix underneath my Flourite (or any other substrate cap).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 05:30 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamP. View Post
I am starting a new 75 gallon tank soon and I am wondering if I can grow plants well in non plant substrate gravel?

The gravel I want is a natural looking gravel that has very small pebbles, but is larger than sand. I dont know what its called but the peices are rounded and looks very nice in my opinion.

Could I get away with using root tabs or should i do a bottom layer of some type (laterite)? Or is this a bad idea and I should just use a plant substrate?
In the past, I have used the approach you suggested; i.e., using root tabs (I used the Seachem brand) underneath "nonplant substrate gravel," and it worked quite well. At the same time, I added appropriate nutrients to the water column, for the rhizome-type plants that were not planted in the tank's gravel. Good luck with your new tank!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aubzilla
I think if you are planning to shell out the money for a CO2 system, you should atleast look at the mineralized topsoil sticky. Yes, plants will grow in gravel with CO2 and ferts, but its like getting a racecar and using crappy oil and gas and parts......
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
There are many conflicting views on the matter, but there are loads of people out there with nice plants that didn't use "plant" substrates. Root tabs work, as does putting osmocote or minerilized soil under the substrate. Many people have successfully grown swords and other plants touted as being "heavy root feeders" with water column dosing alone. There's no doubt that substrate fertilizers are a good thing however.

My advice would be to use root tabs if you're going with an inert substrate, and dose the water column also.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamP. View Post

I tried to do an imitation creek bottom tank because I liked the look and what your describing sort of sounds like what I did. My results were:

Tennelus(sp?) -> barely survived at all, prolly would have died out without root tabs being added later on.
Ludwigia -> survived but didn't look very healthy and root tabs didn't help.
Aponetegon bulbs from petco -> of the half that sprouted they all did great. root tabs helped but weren't necessary
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks!

Thanks for the advice everybody. Looks like I am going to use "Flourite Dark". I like the look of it cause its a dark brown and not jet black. It looks pretty much the same as the inert gravel I was checking out.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 12:59 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'm probably going to re-do my 10gal soon and plan to try the Miracle Gro and Flourite dark together - I think they'd look really nice.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode