powder-type or normal grain aquasoil for planting HC Cuba? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
csp
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
powder-type or normal grain aquasoil for planting HC Cuba?

I'm restarting a 20L after an algae fiasco (long story for another time.)

Presently, the tank is drained but I left the substrate and hardscape in place. The substrate is a thick layer of normal grain aqua soil (over a layer of their power sand and some of additives)--it's what was in the tank during algae-apocalypse.

I'd like to re-start and plant HC cuba. It will be first time for me--I've had glosso, monte carlo, and dwarf hairgrass carpets in the past. When the HC cuba arrived, I realized it's a lot smaller than any of the other carpeting plants I've tried. And, possibly, too small for the normal grain of the aqua soil.

Two Questions:

1. Would it be reasonable to add a thin layer of powder-type soil on top of what I have in place prior to planting? The current soil grain dwarfs the HC cuba.

2. Which would work better, dry start or immersed plus heavy CO2?

(Here's why I'm considering immersed start as opposed to dry start: I used dry-start for planting glosso and hairgrass in the normal-type aqua soil. When I added more plants at a later date, they were much easier to plant in the soil when immersed--noticeably easier. Since the HC cuba is so tiny, I'd like to make planting it as easy as possible--don't want to spend 3 weeks just planting the stuff.)

Mr Aqua 20L and Finnex HCA-18 (8.6 Gallon)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode