switching styles of tank, substrate??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
switching styles of tank, substrate???

Hello Everyone,

It has been a while since I posted here, as I tore my planted tank down a few years ago, and went back to African Cichlids. Well I have seen the Error of My Ways, and I am going back to planting my 55Gal!

So when I tore down the planted settup I saved my Florite, and rinsed it out before putting it in a trashcan in storage, as I figured I would do a planted tank again some day, and I didn't want to spend $100 and somthing on substrate again!

At this point I have 20+ lbs of basic (ie cheap-o) aquarium gravel in the 55. It is really a sandblasting sand that all of the LFS sell in Central Texas for $10 or so a 50# bag.

What I am really asking about is should I move the gravel to the front of the tank and back fill with the florite, SO I will still have whatever bacteria in on the gravel till the florite has been in the tank for a while. THEn remove most of the gravel and spread the floriteover it? OR just remove the gravel all together, then put the florite in and be done with it?

I have enough Florite to correctly slope the substrate from the back to the front, but what gravel is in there could only help to make the substrate a little thicker to help the rooted plants out too!

I have a Fluval 204 filtering the tank that I have had on it while the cichlids were in the tank as well as when it was a planted tank, so there is bactiera in there, but I removed about 150# of Holey rock when i removed the cichlids, and I DON"T want the tank to cycle again!!! BECAUSE I am getting 10+ Golden Pencil Fish tomorrow afternoon to go in the 55, witch I would ranther put them directly in the 55, but I have a 10g sick/quar. tank that has been settup for a few years.

So ANY THOUGHTS on this matter will be helpfull!!!

Thanks,
Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

P.S. I only have a few Java ferns and a FEW asst stem clippings to put in the tank tomorrow, as we now only have 1 LFS other than Pet Smart or Pet Co, and I DON'T like getting plants from their because of A LOT of trouble I had doing it a few Years ago!!! So I will be ordering plants tomorrow and Monday.

Thanks
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I would up pushing my old gravel to the front, and adding the Florite to the back! After I pushed the old gravel to the front it was only 3" wide, so I got most of my Florite in the tank, and after about a week or 10 days I will remove most of the old gravel and put the rest of the florite in its place.

So far the tank is doing fine, with no cycleing, but to be on the safe side I put the Pencil fish in my QT Tank, and they are doing GOOD! They are getting more color by the minute! I wound up buying all the LFS had for a count of 15!!! They are still pretty small with most being 3/4" long with about 4 or 5 being 1", and it is the larger ones who allready have the color in thier fins! Hopefully the rest will color up pretty quick!!!

Thanks for the help!
Drew

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode