Possible issue with Blasting sand - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New here, but I have been a lurker for a little while now and this is a fantastic site. That said, ive done my best to sift through past threads here and while i didnt want to hijack anyones thread I didnt exactly find what i found. Im in the middle of setting up a new build in the very near future and i decided im going to go with black blasting sand as the substrate. Ive done a good bit of research and am working within a budget so i was thrilled to find that option. recently had a conversation with a great LFS owner and he told me they used blasting sand in some salt water setups and occasionally had issues with bottom dwellers and glass. So that got me curios and i opened on of the packages to see what i was working with and found some odd pieces that i wanted to show here and gather some opinions on. going to do my best to get this pic up for you kind folks and i already appreciate everytimes time for reading this post. thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190403_132724_1554367196992.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	880023  

Last edited by Jrb3368; 04-04-2019 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Pic wasnt showing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've done blasting sand in my tanks and have seen what is in the pic also but never had problems with it. My cory cat fish were just fine.
Greggz and Jrb3368 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I Seek The White Whale!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:06 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (122/100%)
You'll get the odd peice of that stuff here and there but its no big deal.

Cories are perfectly fine with blasting sand. Ive used in many different tanks over the years with dozens and dozens of Cories
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	112.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	880025  

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	880027  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I appreciate the replies and burr740 thank you for the pics, those are some awesome looking cories. I know this stuff gets done to death but thanks again for taking the time to reply!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:52 PM
Algae Grower

thank you for this thread and response.
I also got some blasting sand and noticed alot of those broken wire pieces and was getting a little worried if I should use or thrash the blasting sand. Those wire strands are not magnetic so... . lol

now I have confidence that my blasting sand with those alien pieces are just fine.
Jrb3368 likes this.

Started out, thinking it's a 5gal. tank chore for my grandkid want, now, it's turned into a expensive hobby that I've got only myself to blame fer.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

I second what Burr posted. I have been using it over a year with a school of Cory's and they all look just like that (no pics right now, sorry).

It is a great option for a substrate. Enjoy using it!

|

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
It appears to me that BBS is variable- as can be seen with some having items ( wire?) in bags that others do not. Due to this variability, saying it is aquarium safe in all instances appears problematic, no?

Ah, okay- wire in BBS is not an anomoly:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ting-abrasives
A review from a user"

Qoute

"Elmira NY

Review 1
Votes 21

☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆
2 out of 5 stars.
∑ 3 years ago
Too Dusty, full of lumps

We've been using the Wicked Sister 20-40 (Medium) grit in our blast room for some time now, with lots of issues, the biggest of which is dust.

This stuff has to be screened before use, as it often contains chunks and bits of wire that will plug up the nozzles. No big deal for here, we already have screens and a reclaimer system. Could be problematic for a place that doesn't blast all the time.

Secondly, this is not meant for use in a blast room. It breaks down so fast you end up with tons of dust, plugging up your dust collector and making it impossible to see what you are doing. Its meant for outdoor blasting and one-time use.

Though it is quick to remove heavy rust and stuck-on debris from the parts being blasted, the poor visibility and high maintenance of our equipment that come with using it have our shop looking for Aluminum Oxide based abrasive instead- which is said to break down much more slowly than coal slag and will perform better in a blast room.

And another:

"Bought this to use in my 110lb pressure blaster. Plugged up right away. After cleaning hoses out I noticed mixed with the grain are long strings of glass that look like sharp wire. This wire looking material is what's plugging my blaster up. Gonna take back the bags I didn't use and try the fine."

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

Last edited by Discusluv; 06-03-2019 at 12:34 AM. Reason: more info
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I know... I know- you'll wish I would just join the consensus and extol the virtues of BBS. I understand.

I respect the experience of those that recommend this product as safe (I learn much from these same individuals everyday). Just because I disagree with the assessment doesn't mean I dont respect all that state that BDBS is safe on all counts. But, I have dealt with this issue on the other side many times. Illness threads- corydoras and soft-bellied catfish with Red Blotch disease, aeronomas infections, unexplained "holes" that are often blamed on parasitic worms.

This substrate for 75% of aquarists is entirely safe -if dont have bottom-dwelling fish. Some never experience a problem- but, many do.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:08 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I know... I know- you'll wish I would just join the consensus and extol the virtues of BBS. I understand.

I respect the experience of those that recommend this product as safe (I learn much from these same individuals everyday). Just because I disagree with the assessment doesn't mean I dont respect all that state that BDBS is safe on all counts. But, I have dealt with this issue on the other side many times. Illness threads- corydoras and soft-bellied catfish with Red Blotch disease, aeronomas infections, unexplained "holes" that are often blamed on parasitic worms.

This substrate for 75% of aquarists is entirely safe -if dont have bottom-dwelling fish. Some never experience a problem- but, many do.

thanks for that!
Discusluv likes this.

Started out, thinking it's a 5gal. tank chore for my grandkid want, now, it's turned into a expensive hobby that I've got only myself to blame fer.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:16 AM
Planted Member

I have two tanks and went with the BDBS in the 10g. Looked great. Very much liked the black and shimmery look it had. Made everything pop as far as looks go. Really liked it to start off with.

After a while noticed that my nerites would try to avoid it to a degree. At first thought it was my imagination but noticed in my bigger tank with sackrete commercial medium sand they would burrow and cut across the bottom edge of the tank cleaning the glass under the sand layer. Sometimes spending what seemed like days half berried in the substrate eating stuff. I just ended up changing my 10g over to the same sackrete sand. Dont regret it besides that I kind of wanted the black substrate. Just to cheap to go buy more sand when I still had left overs from the $10 100lb bag I got to do my 40B.

Anyone near Everett WA that would like a couple unopened bags of BDBS by chance
Discusluv likes this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:32 AM
Algae Grower

Yikes! I was going to add a couple of nirites to my 13 gallon w/bdbs after we break it in cycling to control brown algae and watnots. I heard they don't like sand either but was hoping they'd crawl on bdbs. lol

I hope the nirites I get aren't so picky of the substrate

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So i'm 2 months in and I love it. so far my stem plants seem to be doing well (with root tabs) and I haven't seen any issue at all with my yoyo loaches, bolivian ram (who loves to sift through the substrate), clown pleco or even my nerite snail. Sad to hear that some of you have had issues. can only keep my fingers crossed that I don't run into problems in the future...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:29 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I did BDBS in my 3 tanks and have coriea and nerites in all 3. No issues thus far and snails don't seem to avoid it, though if a snail falls over they do have trouble getting back up since there's only sand to grab into.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrb3368 View Post
So i'm 2 months in and I love it. so far my stem plants seem to be doing well (with root tabs) and I haven't seen any issue at all with my yoyo loaches, bolivian ram (who loves to sift through the substrate), clown pleco or even my nerite snail. Sad to hear that some of you have had issues. can only keep my fingers crossed that I don't run into problems in the future...
Ill keep my fingers crossed for you as well.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Tankard View Post
I did BDBS in my 3 tanks and have coriea and nerites in all 3. No issues thus far and snails don't seem to avoid it, though if a snail falls over they do have trouble getting back up since there's only sand to grab into.
What is a coriea?
Jrb3368 likes this.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:09 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sorry typo, cories*

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode