Eco complete pro-con - The Planted Tank Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eco complete pro-con

Is there anyone who has used this? If some of you are aware of my previous posts, I bought a load of ADA Amazonia that turned out to be a dud, constantly browning my water, six months afterwards. Before that I had a laterite first layer capped by sand, and that was a poor choice for a novice to planted tanks. I could never get the black mossy/hair algae to go away and I never was happy. Also the laterite kept surfacing through the sand and super saturating the water column with nutrients.

I am looking at Eco Complete and I understand the need to dose. I’ll do some researching on dosing later, but what is the care and use of Eco Complete like? Do you vacuum? What’s it’s cycle like? Is it hard for bottom feeders like Corys and Plecos? Is it easy to plant in or to plants constantly pop up?

Do you cap it? If so, I’m looking at the Black Diamond Blasting Sand. If I cap with blasting sand, how does that change the care of the substrate?

My tank is still the color of coffee, it still has the ADA in it. It’s a 45 gallon tall, low tech, but looking to upgrade with CO2 later. I really want to do an amazon tank, with some large leaf swords, a couple of crypto’s, some moss on driftwood, and a carpet of baby tears. My fish will be a couple of Corys, a bristlenose and a pair of rams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 06:22 PM
Algae Grower

I have it in my 10 gal low tech. It’s a nightmare for me. Since my roots grow slowly the plants are constantly popping out whenever I am cleaning up. I like the Flourite in my 55 a little more. It holds freshly planted plants a bit better for me
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also I have read some of customer reviews from amazon and PetSmart that claim this substrate has killed their fish. Is there any backing in this?
Discusluv likes this.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:55 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeneycam View Post
Is there anyone who has used this? If some of you are aware of my previous posts, I bought a load of ADA Amazonia that turned out to be a dud, constantly browning my water, six months afterwards. Before that I had a laterite first layer capped by sand, and that was a poor choice for a novice to planted tanks. I could never get the black mossy/hair algae to go away and I never was happy. Also the laterite kept surfacing through the sand and super saturating the water column with nutrients.

I am looking at Eco Complete and I understand the need to dose. I’ll do some researching on dosing later, but what is the care and use of Eco Complete like? Do you vacuum? What’s it’s cycle like? Is it hard for bottom feeders like Corys and Plecos? Is it easy to plant in or to plants constantly pop up?

Do you cap it? If so, I’m looking at the Black Diamond Blasting Sand. If I cap with blasting sand, how does that change the care of the substrate?

My tank is still the color of coffee, it still has the ADA in it. It’s a 45 gallon tall, low tech, but looking to upgrade with CO2 later. I really want to do an amazon tank, with some large leaf swords, a couple of crypto’s, some moss on driftwood, and a carpet of baby tears. My fish will be a couple of Corys, a bristlenose and a pair of rams.

FWIW, I am using Eco Complete and have been since I started the tank - see build journal listed below. To answer some of your questions;
Yes, I vacuum the substrate to some degree every weekend. Mostly skimming over the top as opposed to shoving the vacuum into the substrate.

Cycle, not sure what you mean. What I have is roughly 3-4 years old now and is still working fine.

I have had cories for many years - they are fine

Easy to plant in - no. Can you learn to adapt, yes. Like I said, have a look at either the beginning or end of my journal (big change in appearance). I have at least 2.5" - 3" of the stuff.
My guess is if you tried to cap it with something like Black Diamond Blasting Sand, the finer sand particles would work their way to the bottom glass leaving the lighter, larger Eco Complete on the top.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeneycam View Post
Also I have read some of customer reviews from amazon and PetSmart that claim this substrate has killed their fish. Is there any backing in this?
How do they know the substrate killed their fish? Like @Immortal1 used for many years without issue and had corys and other bottom dwellers. I think if there was a real problem with the substrate the gig would be up and people would stop buying it.

I've planted every kind of stem in it including the smallest HC and never had a problem. If you can't plant in it you clearly aren't using twizzers or aren't using them the right way.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:39 PM
Algae Grower

They probably killed their B.B had an ammonia spike, and blamed the eco for the deaths, I replaced 40lbs at a time and didn’t have any problems with it.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
You will not find anyone on this forum have issues with commonly kept substrates with corydoras--- its all good. Every corydoras they ever have had have lived in perfect bliss on Eco-complete for "years".

Now, talk about discrepancies between substrates--as far as how well they do for their plants ( whats better, whats "junk") -- now, that is an entirely different conversation. The consensus breaks down and the gloves come off. They take their plants very seriously.

Go outside of this forum -different a whole different story.

If you are worried about corydoras specifically, I would go to the experts: corydorasworld on facebook.

You want to know how substrates relate to plants- come here.
You want to know how substrate relates to fish- go elsewhere.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok, everyone on the forum i lying about their experiences with Eco. Did you ever even use it?
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

@Asteroid- Why are you asking me questions directly? Trying to again get me to engage with you so you can run to the moderators because Im just so "mean."
You ask your questions in general or to the OP.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
@Asteroid- Why are you asking me questions directly? Trying to again get me to engage with you so you can run to the moderators because Im just so "mean."
You ask your questions in general or to the OP.
Because your stating how bad Eco is, so I'm asking if you used it. There is nothing wrong with that. You mentioning that I ran to a moderator BTW is against forum rules so this post is being reported as we speak.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Exactly.

I sure called that one right.

And, the moderators stated last time to avoid one another, which I have. But, you have repeatedly sought me out to engage me directly so you can push that button again.

Very strange behavior.

post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don't flatter yourself, I have not sought you out at all.

I have used Eco Complete like many others and have had no issues long-term with bottom dwellers including Cories. You are disputing people who actually used the stuff with these fish and it appears from your responses that you have never even used Eco Complete.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Your repeated direct responses to me are diminishing the effectiveness of your case to the moderators.
Oh no, I said "moderators again", you better push that button again.

post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not sure why your even here. All you do is insult user experience on the forum:

Quote:
Not on this forum. I haven't seen a substrate yet that cant be used for corydoras. If you use it- its all good.

It comes from the same place as the "I dont need a lid on my tank because Ive had my fish for years and they never jump."

Until they do.

Or, the substrate becomes a problem- and then I help them in the fish section with an bacterial/fungal illness that came clear outta nowhere. The relation is never admitted, however because that coal slag that cuts fingers and wears down human nails couldn't possibly cause any trouble to the bellies and fins of a fish.
Quote:
You will not find anyone on this forum have issues with commonly kept substrates with corydoras--- its all good. Every corydoras they ever have had have lived in perfect bliss on Eco-complete for "years".

Now, talk about discrepancies between substrates--as far as how well they do for their plants ( whats better, whats "junk") -- now, that is an entirely different conversation. The consensus breaks down and the gloves come off. They take their plants very seriously. Go outside of this forum -different a whole different story.

If you are worried about corydoras specifically, I would go to the experts: corydorasworld on facebook.

You want to know how substrates relate to plants- come here.
You want to know how substrate relates to fish- go elsewhere.
I think your time would be better served at corydorasworld on facebook
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:09 AM
Algae Grower

Well that escalated quickly

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode