Substrate 101 questions.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Substrate 101 questions....

Hey guys, I am about to add substrate to my tank but I'm not sure if I'm going about this the right way.

I have a 16G half-moon tank and I bought a 20lb bag of Eco-Complete from the LFS (the owner recommended it and I bought it on a whim).

Is there a rule of thumb as far as substrate goes in lbs per gallon? Also, Eco-Complete bag claims that its nutrient rich. I won't have any stem plants (mainly mosses), in which case should I simply use Eco-Complete or some inert substrate and top it off with Eco-Complete?

I appreciate any help, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Generally its 1 pound per gallon. If you arent using ANY plants that will go directly in the substrate there is no reason to use any at all. I think you will eventualy want some plants that go in the soil. I tried the same thing in one of my tanks and now the substrate is completely covered in plants. In your case you do not need a nutrient rich substrate for the purpose of this is to feed the roots of plants and encourage healthy growth. So you could put whatever soil you want but I'd still suggest 1lb per gallon or atleast some of the substrate in case you want to do other plants in the future.

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sampster, thanks for your reply and advice.

I understand that mosses don't really need much of anything, let alone nutrient rich substrate, but I was thinking the same thing you were. I may change things up like so many planted tank aquarists do so often. Its better I did it this way I think.

1lb per gallon is good...I don't need to buy more! Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode