Flourite sand vs peat moss - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Aimulator64

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flourite sand vs peat moss

Hello Everyone!

My name is Brian. I have some freshwater and planting experience, but not a whole lot.

I am new to the forum, but wanted to make a quick post about deciding which direction to go with my new tank setup that is on order. I will be using a "reef ready" cube tank and sump, with a bank of sponge filters and a carbon reactor down below. I am curious to know if anyone has had experience with both Seachem's Flourite black sand, as well as using peat moss and soil combination underneath a sand cap? Are there significant advantages to the soil method as far as root systems/nutrients go? I have never used just sand, but am interested in shying away from the soils and peat in order to have a cleaner tank while moving plants, and avoiding potential pockets of gasses and depleted nutrients. Sand would be easier in my opinion, but may offer less of a soft structure for roots to flourish.

Any thoughts? If you want I can post pictures in the months to come as the tank comes together. I am going away from "hang on the back" equipment for a cleaner look, and an increased ability to filter. I can oxygenate the water with the array of sponge filters in the sump, and place as many media reactors as I need to add additional chemical filtration if needed. Filter socks will do my mechanical filtering and the sponges will give me a bulletproof biological system that I can borrow from to seed other tanks in the future.

Thanks, everyone!!
eddieboy1233 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimulator64 View Post
Are there significant advantages to the soil method as far as root systems/nutrients go?
Yes and no. Soil will allow "storage" and "exchange" of certain nutrients. Roots will thrive in the soil.

But, sand is perfectly acceptable. All plants I pull out of straight sand always have flourishing root masses, no issues at all planting them and no issues with small delicate plants thriving in sand.

Quote:
I have never used just sand, but am interested in shying away from the soils and peat in order to have a cleaner tank while moving plants, and avoiding potential pockets of gasses and depleted nutrients. Sand would be easier in my opinion, but may offer less of a soft structure for roots to flourish.

Well, that is all true. So if you're already stating all that, I would say go with 100% sand. It is easier, cleaner, cheaper and less hassle.

The go - to's on here are black blasting sand (100% coal slag) and pool filter sand (silica sand). You can look for other inert sands like quartz. Flourite sand is not worth the extra cost, it is of no benefit compared to the other sands I listed.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:08 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Hello Everyone!

My name is Brian. I have some freshwater and planting experience, but not a whole lot.

I am new to the forum, but wanted to make a quick post about deciding which direction to go with my new tank setup that is on order. I will be using a "reef ready" cube tank and sump, with a bank of sponge filters and a carbon reactor down below. I am curious to know if anyone has had experience with both Seachem's Flourite black sand, as well as using peat moss and soil combination underneath a sand cap? Are there significant advantages to the soil method as far as root systems/nutrients go? I have never used just sand, but am interested in shying away from the soils and peat in order to have a cleaner tank while moving plants, and avoiding potential pockets of gasses and depleted nutrients. Sand would be easier in my opinion, but may offer less of a soft structure for roots to flourish.

Any thoughts? If you want I can post pictures in the months to come as the tank comes together. I am going away from "hang on the back" equipment for a cleaner look, and an increased ability to filter. I can oxygenate the water with the array of sponge filters in the sump, and place as many media reactors as I need to add additional chemical filtration if needed. Filter socks will do my mechanical filtering and the sponges will give me a bulletproof biological system that I can borrow from to seed other tanks in the future.

Thanks, everyone!!
Whenever I use straight sand I use a ton of root tabs. I am not entirely sure if it's completely necessary but I have noticed it takes significantly less time for my plants to develop great roots. I also use flourish advance daily for the at least the first 2 months. Along with my usual fert of course.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode