Turface Pro fired clay substrate--does it wear out, or go bad? Mine is ~8 years old. - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Seattle_Aquarist
  • 1 Post By Cyano

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Turface Pro fired clay substrate--does it wear out, or go bad? Mine is ~8 years old.

Subject says it all. Is there ever a need to replace a fired clay substrate?

I do not have a lot of root-feeding plants. In fact, I can barely keep floating plants alive. But it was suggested to me that my substrate could be part of my troubles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
It stops buffering, but I believe the CEC capabilities still remain. The bigger question is, how well do you clean the substrate? Over that long of a period, mulm tends to build up to levels that can cause issues.
@Seattle_Aquarist has some tanks with STS that are quite old. Roy would probably have some good insights on this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's hard to say how well it can be cleaned. I don't have big snowdrifts of mulm. Things look pretty clean and when I stir it up, the debris produced seems ... reasonable. But I don't know how to quantify it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 04:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi @Cyano,

Here is how I test it, if I can take a grain or two of the substrate and squeeze it between my thumb and forefinger and it doesn't turn into 'mush' or break apart it is probably still good. If it does break apart don't reuse it. It does still have the CEC properties as @natemcnutty stated, but planting in mush is not fun. I just broke down two tanks that I set up in 2010 (9 years) that have Soilmaster Select Charcoal Grey (discontinued) calcined clay and the substrate is still as good as new. Last spring I broke down a tank with Safe-t-sorb that was set up in Feb. 2014 (5 years ago) and the substrate was starting to become soft. I tried to re-use it and that was a poor decision, because I will now have to break down that tank after a year and replace the substrate. Hope this helps! -Roy

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks @Seattle_Aquarist!

My Turface still looks and feels new, no signs of it turning to mush.
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode