eco complete - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation eco complete

Has anyone ever had Eco complete?? i would like to get your opinion on it because i was thinking about using it for my 160 gal tank. i would like to make a very nice planted tank so i was wondering if eco complete was a good substrate to make a planted tank. if theres a better substrate i would like to know the name thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 05:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
I love to use it myself and prefer it over any other brand even ADA substrates. But for a 160 gal tank that could get expensive. I have it in 5 of the 6 tanks I have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 05:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Been working well for me in two tanks (40 and 50 each). Easy to use and doesn't require lots of rinsing.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 06:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
I like it aswell easy to plant in. Also if you need a bunch consider petco.com i just ordered 4 bags at 16.99 with free shipping. that will beat most any lfs.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 07:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've only been using it for one month but I like it. But I do get the feeling that the people who say the nutrients within it are unavailable to plants are right. No amazing plant growth so far, but its a new tank and maybe they need to adjust to being transplanted. I will say that just yesterday I moved a ludwigia stem and was shocked at the roots it had, the ludwigia in my other tank with gravel and sand never had roots like this. Overall I do like the stuff, its pretty and doesn't make a mess. I'm assuming that the high surface area will help the beneficial bacteria. I also put a slight slope in the surface and its held so far.

I have a question though. I'm getting 10x more brown algae in my eco complete tank than I ever got in my other tank with gravel, could the eco complete be the cause?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 07:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Green024
Does anyone have a PH level below 7.0 that uses this substrate?
I use this brand in all of my tanks. It serves its purpose well, but the granules are too randomly sized for my liking when I am up close to my tanks. I kind of prefer the uniformity of some other brands that are out there.

Pimp #420
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 02:26 AM
Planted Member

ph is 6.5 here......

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 03:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
I've used it on both my 29 and 75. I prefer it due to the ease of planting and the look. I actually prefer the various sized granules as it (well to me anyway. to each their own) looks a bit more natural.

It can get pricey though if you are looking for it locally. Online suppliers are the best for this.

As far as nutrients, I personally haven't used anything else so I can't say if it grows better than others, but due to its granule size and the fact that it doesn't compact that much the roots can grow fairly easily. If you are concerned about nutrients, just add some root tabs every now and then.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 03:09 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green024 View Post
the granules are too randomly sized for my liking
That's my main gripe with EC - in the past I used a colander to strain out the larger granules, that has helped appease my meticulous (or OCD? lol) nature.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 03:28 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Assuming your tank is around 5' by 2', and you wanted 3" substrate depth, you'd need 240lbs of Eco Complete, which is 12 bags. Eco Complete is inert, but is good at absorbing nutrients for future use. As specific aquarium-use substrates go, Eco Complete is about as cheap as you'll find (unless you go with clown puke gravel), but your best bet would honestly be to make some MTS or use Miracle Gro Organic Potting Mix and cap it with pool filter sand. This would cost you $25-35, rather than the $200-250 it would cost for the Eco.

...unless money isn't an issue at all, in which case, skip the Eco and pick something off the ADA website.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
There's been a change in the quality controls making this stuff for the market within the last couple of years. When I first tried it the grain size was more consistent and the color was all black to shades of charcoal gray. Setting up a another tank recently there are 'sprinkles' for orange and red (Flourite original) type colors random in the bags I received.
I'm also going along with the post that it's not that 'complete' in what's provided for plants.

The KH and resulting pH of this new tank also climbed using the Eco so it contains a buffer mineral of some sort starting out. This seems to be a new twist because I didn't note that happening on tanks using it in the past. The rise in KH lasted through about 3 water changes the first month.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode