Acidic Rocks? - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Acidic Rocks?

I have a 55 gallon tank, and i realized the pH is kind of high- 8.9.

Before using peat moss, I was going to try adding stone to bring down the pH. If it doesn't work satisfactorily, then I'll resort to the peat moss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 02:39 AM
Algae Grower

What kind of rocks will bring down pH?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 02:52 AM
Algae Grower

i don't know about rocks but wood is great. i have a nice thick piece of mopani.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbudge View Post
What kind of rocks will bring down pH?
sorry, I guess I failed to actually ask the question- yes, that is my question- what kinds of rocks give off a steady stream of acidity?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 03:15 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

With so high pH you probably have high KH too. You need to bring the KH down first. Easiest way is to mix RO water with tap water during water changes to get reasonable parameters.
You can choose fish that will thrive in your hard water too and never worry about adjusting parameters.

- 120x48x60 cm

- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good morning, i never saw a rock which lower acidity if someone find some i am interested to know.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Those I can think of are pretty much inert or have carbonates which tend to raise rather than lower PH. Peat is the more common method, so I think it may be true that there are no rocks to do it.
But then, it is true that there are lots of things I've not heard about!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel View Post
With so high pH you probably have high KH too. You need to bring the KH down first. Easiest way is to mix RO water with tap water during water changes to get reasonable parameters.
You can choose fish that will thrive in your hard water too and never worry about adjusting parameters.
i use RO water. but i think the problem is the contents of the tank, not the water source. the water's pH was neutral.

in the tank i have an undergravel filter powered by a powerhead. i think it does something to the water (probably raises pH)

if the new layer of acidic rock (or peat, if i can't find a suitable stone) has water go through it, i'm hoping the tank's pH will go down.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 07:54 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What KH has the water you are adding to the tank? What KH has the tank water itself?
If something rises pH in the tank you need to find it and get rid of it, easy as that. It probably is gravel or some kind of rock. Switch out decorations and substrate and problem should be solved.
Acidic rocks exist, but it only means they won't make your water harder. Peat moss helps only if KH is low enough, it gives weak organic acids.
MassiveDynamic17 likes this.

- 120x48x60 cm

- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 12:40 AM
Algae Grower

The only rocks I know of that lower pH are sulfide ores. And they will release heavy metals into the water.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Turface will drop KH and PH dramatically but its not forever

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i don't know the KH... i need to get a new test kit. the rocks in the substrate is white pumice stone. there's some dirt in the rocks, but i recently replaced all the stones. the undergravel filter pulls water through this, and then back into the tank. if acidic rocks aren't an option, i guess i should proceed with the peat moss.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I was not familiar with pumice stone for aquariums, so did some reading and now I might have some real questions of their value for this purpose. Is this something that you have used before without trouble or a new item? I find one of the uses for pumice is making concrete blocks and that says very alkaline to me.
I might think that the pumice is the problem and other subs would work better. Trying to get the PH down while using a highly alkaline sub would not be one I would want.
But that may be due to my lack of experience with pumice! It's volcanic and I tend to stay away from volcanic types as there is no real way to say what was melted and left in them.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 11:47 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
But that may be due to my lack of experience with pumice! It's volcanic and I tend to stay away from volcanic types as there is no real way to say what was melted and left in them.
Pumice usually forms from high-silica lava that is low in calcium and magnesium. Chemically, it's perfectly safe for a tank, unless lime has been deposited by groundwater in its pores. You can test by putting a little strong acid on it and seeing if it bubbles. You can also get rid of any lime residues by soaking it long enough in a strong acid.

True pumice is actually light enough to float on water because of the many pore spaces. If what you have sinks easily in water, it's more likely scoria, but the distinction is not that important -- it, too, will be no problem for water chemistry unless groundwater has deposited lime in its pores.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 02:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have seen a PH that higher in the past. PH was 9 just before the lights turned off. But just before the lights turned on the PH was about 7. This repeated daily I was able to solve the problem by simply dimming the light. Let me know if that works for you. I was not using CO2 at the time.

I concluded that my new brighter light was enough to get the plants to start consuming carbonates in the water. For example plants consume the carbon from calcium carbonate, The calcium then reacts with the water to for calcium hydroxide which is a strong base and will increase PH. When the lights were off CO2 levels in the tank increased increased allowing the calcium hydroxide to convert to Calcium carbonate.Calcium carbonate dissolved in water pushes the ph to about 7.

I do not know of any acidic rocks. But I have also observed PH dropping when using a sulfate based GH booster. Seachem equilibrium and nilocg gh booster are made from a mix of calcium sulfate and magnesium sulfate. Plants need a lot of calcium and magnesium but very little sulfur So when plants are growing well the plant consumption of Ca and Mg may result in an increase in sulfate levels. Sulfte in water is acidic.
MassiveDynamic17 and kgbudge like this.

Tags
acidic rock, substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode