Replacing 4 year old ADA Aquasoil - Approach? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Replacing 4 year old ADA Aquasoil - Approach?

Hello All,

My ADA Aquasoil has definitely seen the end of its life, I have had it for four year now and it is time for some new soil. I was wondering how others have done the swap? I am struggling to find a definitive how to best approach this process. Basically the two approaches I have read are either you take the fish out and put them in another container for 3 weeks while the soil leeches out the ammonia or flip-side, you put the soil in a container with a filter and do the water changes and let it leech out there.

I am wanting to place the soil in another container and leech out the ammonia there for 3-4 weeks, and then swap out the soil in the tank. I am planning to reseal my tank and the full cure takes 7 days, so I am going to be putting my fish in a container for a week but I would prefer not to stress them out too much in that foreign environment.

Anyone with first hand experience able to share what they did and how it panned out?

Thanks,
YT

2/17 - I wasn't able to find any additional information. I am going to take the approach of leaching the ammonia out in a separate tub for a couple of weeks and then do the substrate swap. I will try and post an update after and let you know how it went.

2/21 - Mini-update - It has been 5 days since I have put the soil in the tub and started the leaching process. It is sitting at .038 ammonia per my seneye sensor. I think I will give it another week and half or two weeks (primarily dependent on when I re-silicone my tank).

3/2 - As of this morning my ammonia reading is .022. I am doing 100% water changes every other day basically for the entirety of the process. Since it is just substrate in a tub with a powerhead circulating the water, I think this approach is fine. I am thinking next weekend I will try for the swap. I have two fully cycled Eheim Pro4 350s and a healthy amount of plants, so I think the environment could absorb it at this point but I still need to re-silicone the tank.

Last edited by yondertank; 03-02-2019 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Not supposed to post replies to own thread with updates.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode