2Likes
  • 1 Post By EdWiser
  • 1 Post By EdWiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question ADA Aquasoil questions

So I've already read several threads pertaining to ADA Aquasoil, but they all include cycling tanks. I have some questions for an already cycled tank.

A week ago I swapped out my inert gravel for ADA Aquasoil, in a moderately planted mature tank, and have been doing water changes almost daily. I just want to be sure I'm doing it right, since I have a fish (betta) in the tank.

#1: What percentage of water should I be changing out? I'm not sure if I'm doing too much or too little. I'm guessing a Seachem Ammonia Alert Reading isn't accurate because it's been saying everything is 'fine' the whole time, when ADA Aquasoil is known for its ammonia spikes.

#2: Is this correct for an already cycled tank?
First week: daily water changes
Second week: every other day
Third week: 3 times a week
Fourth week: 2 times a week
Onward: Once a week

#3: Is it true I should wait a month before dosing the water column with ferts? And does that mean I should withhold on the ferts when dosing my water changes too?

get out of my house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:25 PM
Planted Member

The ADA publication Let’s Start with an A. Is what I always refer too when starting a new ADA soil tank. Every good guide lines for using their product’s.

http://www.adana.co.jp/en/contents/s...pdf/index.html
Ryan Mosby likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you for the reading material! It really helped.

I learned the answers to my earlier questions:

#A1: One-third of the water needs to be changed.

#A2: The instructions for cycling tanks are the same for pre-established tanks. Water is changed daily in the first week, and every 2-3 days in the second week and onward. Then after a month has passed, the water is changed once a week.

This is a really great guide, it even has a list of all the rock types (I'd been looking for that and hadn't found any). Read and bookmarked.

And now I have more questions (sorry!).

This is my first time learning about ADA Power Sand and Powder Type. Sadly it's too late for me to use Power Sand, as I've already added the aqua soil to the tank.

As for Power Type, I do want to support the roots of my plants better and the aquasoil pellets are pretty thick. I read that if you use Aqua Soil Amazonia Powder, to not use as much Normal type aqua soil. However, I've already put in ADA Aqua Soil. Would it work out if I still tried to top it with the powder?--To fill the gaps between the pellets and plant plants easier.

get out of my house

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:44 PM
Planted Member

You see people use the fine grain soil on top its more of what you like really. It just looks nicer that the large pellet size. I use the powder on my small tanks only because it looks better. You can use the solid with out the underlayment of the power sand. I always use the power sand as it helps with bacteria growth.
Ryan Mosby likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I wish I'd known about the Power Sand and Powder before I put in the aquasoil. I was thinking the powder because the pellets of the aquasoil are so big that it's difficult to put plants in. But seeing as the plants aren't floating up, maybe I won't need it.

get out of my house
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 10:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hey Ryan - Where did you see the instructions for replacing the substrate for existing tanks? I looked at the linked guide "Lets start with A" and didn't see it in there. That is the question I am trying to answer since I am swapping out four year old ADA soil with some new soil.

Thank you,
YT
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yondertank View Post
Hey Ryan - Where did you see the instructions for replacing the substrate for existing tanks? I looked at the linked guide "Lets start with A" and didn't see it in there. That is the question I am trying to answer since I am swapping out four year old ADA soil with some new soil.

Thank you,
YT
I found the instructions for water changes were the same for established as they are for cycling tanks, and information on how to put the new ADA products in, but I wasn't able to find information on the actual swapping out old substrate for new.

get out of my house
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 03:55 PM
Algae Grower

I can't find the instructions for the daily water changes for the first week and so on, in their written materials. I can see them saying you should do water changes but nothing specific. I think I am still reading the wrong materials on their site. Can you point me to the water change instructions? Thanks!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yondertank View Post
I can't find the instructions for the daily water changes for the first week and so on, in their written materials. I can see them saying you should do water changes but nothing specific. I think I am still reading the wrong materials on their site. Can you point me to the water change instructions? Thanks!
It's on page 13 of the Lets Start with A PDF, under the section marked "Nutrients", subheader "Frequency of Water Change". I'd copy and paste but the text isn't selectable.

Basically it says to remove 1/3 of the aquarium water, changed daily in the first week and every two to three days from the second week onwards. After a month has passed, the water should be changed basically once a week. In the event of an algae bloom, an emergency water change may be performed.

get out of my house

Last edited by Ryan Mosby; 03-30-2019 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Typo
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:09 AM
Algae Grower

Thank you!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode