Soil substrate:to keep or remove the wood chip/floating bits? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Soil substrate:to keep or remove the wood chip/floating bits?

I've been reading a bit before trying another soil tank (been a few years), and get a few different points of view with soil..

Some people say to remove the wood chips and any floating bits (soak/rinse before use), others keep it in.
I was under the impression that the wood chips and 'dreaded' floating bits are part of what break down to generate CO2 over time so removing them reduce your potential CO2?

Am I misunderstanding this? Or what am I missing?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:43 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
For the soil tank, I watched youtuber the water box's channel. There, I saw that he sifted the soil through a strainer to block out any large chunks. I saw the same thing by Mike from Aquapros. I think it makes sense to remove all the bigger chunks and whatever floats later on. Its more pleasing anyway.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I've been reading a bit before trying another soil tank (been a few years), and get a few different points of view with soil..

Some people say to remove the wood chips and any floating bits (soak/rinse before use), others keep it in.
I was under the impression that the wood chips and 'dreaded' floating bits are part of what break down to generate CO2 over time so removing them reduce your potential CO2?

Am I misunderstanding this? Or what am I missing?

If I can remember correctly this may have been a point in walstads method, I’ll go back and look through the book and see what she wrote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why would you want the things that wont do anything for you? At least, thats how I look at it when I set up my dirted tank. These wood chip, and other stuff, they will float eventually, and you will find yourself constantly skimming the top water to remove all those stuff as it is not doing any good, but making my tank look not that good. If you sift them out first, you will have two benefits. One, not much time spending afterwards to remove them. Two, you have more room for more dirt.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Yes, found on page 137...
“The decomposition of soil organic matter releases CO2 which plants may badly need in a new tank”

Reference from page 139 also states...” also decomposition of the soils organic matter adds CO2 to the water which greatly benefits plants in aquariums without CO2 injection”

So I believe that keeping the wood chips and such may be a benefit to the tank rather than a hindrance. Larger pieces may offer more co2 over a longer period of time. She also states that care needs to be taken to reduce co2 off gassing via water movement or air stones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaonrahman View Post
Why would you want the things that wont do anything for you? At least, thats how I look at it when I set up my dirted tank. These wood chip, and other stuff, they will float eventually, and you will find yourself constantly skimming the top water to remove all those stuff as it is not doing any good, but making my tank look not that good. If you sift them out first, you will have two benefits. One, not much time spending afterwards to remove them. Two, you have more room for more dirt.

I have tanks that I have not removed the wood pieces, if there was a significantly large piece I would remove it but other wise I left them. I have had no problems with wood rising up and out of the substrate. Maybe if your gravel or sand top layer was not thick enough this could happen though. Also I am not one to uproot plants once planted, unless I am forced too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-19-2019 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode