ADA Amazonia STILL clouding water - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA Amazonia STILL clouding water

I have had my tank running with ADA Amazonia for over 5 months. In the beginning, I was changing water every few days when it would leach and turn almost coffee brown. Now, I am still afraid to put plants and fish in because every few weeks I am having to drain the tank and start all over again because of how bad it gets. Please, I really need to get my fish out of the hospital tank I have running in my less than warm basement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:29 PM
Planted Member

You have not planted it yet? You should have planted the tank right after putting the soil in the tank. Then add the water. No wonder your soil is clouding the water.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That’s not the most helpful advice, especially since I did plant it, it clouded up and those plants did not get enough light. So if someone could offer some advice on how to remedy the situation rather than scolding, I would love to know what to do.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeneycam View Post
I have had my tank running with ADA Amazonia for over 5 months. In the beginning, I was changing water every few days when it would leach and turn almost coffee brown. Now, I am still afraid to put plants and fish in because every few weeks I am having to drain the tank and start all over again because of how bad it gets. Please, I really need to get my fish out of the hospital tank I have running in my less than warm basement.
First test your water if its been flooded for 5 months and you did water changes regularly you should have no ammonia or very low 0.25ppm(test with API freshwater test kit) as long as its <1ppm it should not be a problem for plants.

If you have adequate filtration it should take care of cloudiness in a few hours what kind of filtration are you using?

If/when your filtration is adequate and you have tested ammonia and nitrite and they are both 0. Then you can drain your water to just over 1 inch above the substrate and plant with tweezers.

Alternatively make sure your filter is off, keep your water and BB in your filter alive, and drain the water from the tank, with just wet substrate plant your plans and then refill tank slowly right after.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The water isn’t cloudy, it’s brown, from the leeching of the soil. I’ve tried replanting a few plants over the past few months. It just seems like the water gets too cloudy, the LED lights can’t penetrate the water, and the plants die. I don’t want to keep throwing plants and money into a tank that will just kill them.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ADA soil shouldn't do that unless it was rinsed or is disturbed during water changes, etc. It will of course leech ammonia but and sometimes it's somewhat cloudly initially, but it shouldn't be coffee brown. Are the grains intact, or are they broken apart?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:56 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
As @cl3537 asked, what size tank, what filter, and what's in the filter?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 02:59 PM
Planted Member

Can you up load a picture of the tank?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
Can you up load a picture of the tank?
Yes I can. Although I just did a bigger water change than I expected... I accidentally drained all of the water down to the soil... so it is unnaturally clear. IŽll post one in a moment.

Bump:
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

https://pix.sfly.com/9VEmf2

Bump: by the way, the tank is a 45, with a 150 gallon rated APA Filstar XP3 filter. Filter has basic straining media in it, rinsed every few weeks, carbon, and biostar media.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:01 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
You got a bad batch, might as well change to something else now and save yourself the trouble.

Same thing happened to me a few months ago. Scroll down the page here

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...volume-69.html

Also happened recently to a couple guys in htpt facebook group. I believe quality control has gone to hell.

ADA is supposedly running out of raw materials for Amazonia...might have something to do with it

[Important] The shortage of Aqua Soil-Amazonia | ADA - NEWS RELEASE

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
i would try a 100+ micron pad or two in your current filter or an additional filter. or micron sock. i think it should be able to filter whatever is suspended but not sure how you can keep the soil from continually leaching

https://www.amazon.com/Encompass-All.../dp/B06XCHLT3J
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 06:50 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
@burr740, read your post on AS - ugly.

I bought 3 x 9L bags from ADA in TX bout 3 years ago, used one bag a year later in a new 50g. Nothing special or different from any of my other AS tanks. That 50g has been my most problematic tank ever: cyano for 6 months, diatoms of every kind for 1+ year, plants constantly melting. All measurable parameters within reasonable ranges, broke the tank completely down twice, washed AS, finally capped AS with sand 4 months ago. That tank is just now starting to behave and look normal. That's 2+ years of wtf?

PowerSand - used it once in my very first AS tank, 120-P some 8 years ago. Never again. You will love it once it starts popping to the surface.

Just a month ago @Discusluv tried AS for the first time. Pretty much the same result as yours - mud and dust everywhere.

ADA - still way pricey with a ton of competition now. A shame, really.
Discusluv and AguaScape like this.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
several years back (10+) there were bags of fake amazonia II. unfortunately, i was victimized by a 3l bag. most granules disintegrated in a day or two, leaving pink/red/white/rust colored particles all over the surface. beware, perhaps it's pirated ship. go all dirted tanks now and never looked back.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 03:16 PM
Planted Member

I buy ADA from the US distributor have never had an issue. Like most things in life go to the source and follow the directions on use. You place the substrate then the soil then plant well. Then fill tank with water. Then do the water changes as the directions say. Once you start mixing things up and do this and a little of that problems WILL occur.
Asteroid likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode