Help me out with transition folks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help me out with transition folks

Hey guys, so I have been in this hobby for a while now, and finally, I feel like I can take on some basic responsibilities. So here goes.

I want to redo both of my tanks. I have a 29 gallon, and a 72. First, let me explain what they have right now, and then, I will outline what I plan to do. At any point, if you guys see anything wrong, or a suggestion to improve, feel free to chime in.

Last year, I put dirt in my tanks. I took out everything, then put dirt, didnt fliter them. Just dumped the bag in the tanks, then capped it with regular store gravel. Me doing this for the first time, I did make lots of mistakes. And the result was whole lota fish died. Ammonia spiked, and overall, not that good looking of a tank.

So now, needless to say, I want to avoid all that. I want to make sure my fish are least stressed out during the whole transition. I want to have 0 mortality if possible and finally, cap the dirt with sand and do a lot better job at it.

So here is my plan to do so and this is where I need you guys help me out. Again, please go through what I am planning to do step by step, and then let me know ANYTHING that I should not do, should do, or what have you. I will start with 29 Gallon first, complete it all the way, and then repeat the steps for 72 in the future. Currently, it has bunch of mix tropical fish, some rainbows (none of them will get more than 2-2.5 inches) some swordtails, smaller loaches, some ammano and cherry shrimp, and bunch of nerite snails along with some other fish.

So here goes -

1 - First, I want to get all the fish and water out and put them in my 55 gallon tank that currently is empty.
2 - Move both my Pothos plants and bunch of floating plants in the 55. (Hopefully, they will help me with water quality)
3 - Move the sponge filter in it, and put it in 55.
4 - Wait for some times (a week maybe? Add Prime in the mean time)
5 - Return the sponge filter in the 29
6 - Return all the fish and floating plants, and Pothos in it.

Question is - How long is it safe for me to keep my fish in 55 this way? Of course I will check my water regularly, change as needed. I want to prolong this transition as long as I can so that I can work on my original 29 G tank. I want to give that tank (29) as long as possible heads up for the plants to settle in, get rooted in, get stable. Also, since I will have dirt in it, capped with sand, I know Ammonia will spike initially. Want to avoid that as well.

Second question is, how long will it take for the nitrogen cycle to complete? Since I am returning sponge filter, I am hoping that the cycle should speed up.

I know I am being contradictory here. On one hand, I want to keep everything in 55 as long safely as I can, on the other, I want to speed up the process in 29. Basically, I want to complete everything as soon as I can, while my fish are not being stressed out, but as a back up plan, I want to know how long is it ok for me to keep them in 55 just in case. (If that makes sense, lol)

Last edited by shaonrahman; 02-02-2019 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Adding more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If the 55 is getting the fish from the 29, then they can safely stay there pretty much forever as long as you are staying on top of water quality.

My friend did a dirt tank (incorrectly, might I add), and her 100g is still to full of ammonia after a year, so the time table can be lengthly if you don't do things right. I doubt it'll take you a yeat though. She used terrestrial soil enriched with chicken manure, and too thin of a cap over too thick a dirt layer with too few plants.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 08:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaonrahman View Post
Hey guys, so I have been in this hobby for a while now, and finally, I feel like I can take on some basic responsibilities. So here goes.

I want to redo both of my tanks. I have a 29 gallon, and a 72. First, let me explain what they have right now, and then, I will outline what I plan to do. At any point, if you guys see anything wrong, or a suggestion to improve, feel free to chime in.

Last year, I put dirt in my tanks. I took out everything, then put dirt, didnt fliter them. Just dumped the bag in the tanks, then capped it with regular store gravel. Me doing this for the first time, I did make lots of mistakes. And the result was whole lota fish died. Ammonia spiked, and overall, not that good looking of a tank.

So now, needless to say, I want to avoid all that. I want to make sure my fish are least stressed out during the whole transition. I want to have 0 mortality if possible and finally, cap the dirt with sand and do a lot better job at it.

So here is my plan to do so and this is where I need you guys help me out. Again, please go through what I am planning to do step by step, and then let me know ANYTHING that I should not do, should do, or what have you. I will start with 29 Gallon first, complete it all the way, and then repeat the steps for 72 in the future.

So here goes -

1 - First, I want to get all the fish and water out and put them in my 55 gallon tank that currently is empty.
2 - Move both my Pothos plants and bunch of floating plants in the 55. (Hopefully, they will help me with water quality)
3 - Move the sponge filter in it, and put it in 55.
4 - Wait for some times (a week maybe? Add Prime in the mean time)
5 - Return the sponge filter in the 29
6 - Return all the fish and floating plants, and Pothos in it.

Question is - How long is it safe for me to keep my fish in 55 this way? Of course I will check my water regularly, change as needed. I want to prolong this transition as long as I can so that I can work on my original 29 G tank. I want to give that tank (29) as long as possible heads up for the plants to settle in, get rooted in, get stable. Also, since I will have dirt in it, capped with sand, I know Ammonia will spike initially. Want to avoid that as well.

Second question is, how long will it take for the nitrogen cycle to complete? Since I am returning sponge filter, I am hoping that the cycle should speed up.

I know I am being contradictory here. On one hand, I want to keep everything in 55 as long safely as I can, on the other, I want to speed up the process in 29. Basically, I want to complete everything as soon as I can, while my fish are not being stressed out, but as a back up plan, I want to know how long is it ok for me to keep them in 55 just in case. (If that makes sense, lol)
Even though you are cycling the 55 with cycled media, you would treat this tank as if you were doing a "fish-in cycle" to ensure the safety of the fish.

Water changes will need to be done as frequently as needed to keep ammonia and nitrite at "0". How often that is and the volume of water needed to keep it at "0" depends on the bio-load of the fish going in.

How many and of what types of fish are going in the 55?
There really is no way to tell you that it is going to x,y, z amount of time for the 55 to cycle. But, giving more information of the amount of fish going in would help determine whether you will have that tank lightly stocked, about right for a tank that size, or overstocked when put fish in.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCris View Post
If the 55 is getting the fish from the 29, then they can safely stay there pretty much forever as long as you are staying on top of water quality.

My friend did a dirt tank (incorrectly, might I add), and her 100g is still to full of ammonia after a year, so the time table can be lengthly if you don't do things right. I doubt it'll take you a yeat though. She used terrestrial soil enriched with chicken manure, and too thin of a cap over too thick a dirt layer with too few plants.
Thank you very much for the info.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Even though you are cycling the 55 with cycled media, you would treat this tank as if you were doing a "fish-in cycle" to ensure the safety of the fish.

Water changes will need to be done as frequently as needed to keep ammonia and nitrite at "0". How often that is and the volume of water needed to keep it at "0" depends on the bio-load of the fish going in.

How many and of what types of fish are going in the 55?
There really is no way to tell you that it is going to x,y, z amount of time for the 55 to cycle. But, giving more information of the amount of fish going in would help determine whether you will have that tank lightly stocked, about right for a tank that size, or overstocked when put fish in.

The thing is, I have bunch of mixed fish in it, along with shrimp and snails. They are tropical mix fish. They are going to cap in 29 when they fully grown, but ATM, they are all small. And I did check my water once after two weeks in the 29 without any water change. I had ammonia 0, Nitrite is 0, and Nitrate was around 20ish. And pH is about 6.5 or so. Key thing to consider here, is that, in 29, they are with whole bunch of plants and while they will be in 55, they will have only floating plants (duckweed, red root floaters, mini water lettuce, frogbit and water spangles), and two pothos plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode