• 1 Post By KeroRocks
  • 1 Post By Grobbins48
  • 1 Post By Kubla

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Have had it with Flourite switching to Blasting sand

I set up a 20 gallon long tank a while ago with Flourite. I had one years ago with Flourite and it was fine. This is NOT FINE. I can't get the dust cloud to settle down and I'm done with trying. Every time I move anything in the tank it kicks up again. It's never been clear. There are no fish in it but I'm afraid the plants aren't getting enough light because of all the detritus in the water column.
Today I'm off to Tractor Supply for a bag of Black Blasting Sand.

Because sometimes you just have to give in!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 Gallon Long tank journey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Enjoy the blasting sand! For inert substrate I am extremely happy I went with it and run it in both of my tanks. Super cost efficient as well.
KeroRocks likes this.

|

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

$7.99 for 50 pounds! I took the tank down today (it hadnít cycled yet) and scrubbed all the red dust off everything. Iím going to try to set it back up tomorrow if I have time.

Did you rinse your blasting sand?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

My first time adding a lot I did. Added to a 5 gallon bucket, maybe half full, used a hose with no nozzle, and let the water overflow while agitating the sand.

Now since then (and with record cold right now) I have added new sand without washing it. I have surface skimmers on my tank so they cleaned up any floating bits real quick.

|

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:59 PM
Algae Grower

I've never had a problem with Flourite. My wife's 25 gallon and my 48 gallon both have it. I rinse half a bag at a time in a bucket, five or six times, and it always comes out (mostly) clean and there's never any dust in my aquariums. I even spent some time sifting it to use the smaller bits for a nano aquarium and never had any dust with it after rinsing it thoroughly. I hope the blasting sand works out well, seems like the best tanks here use it! It's certainly cheaper, which is great.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I LOVE the blasting sand! Itís absolutely beatiful, cleared up quick, and is super easy to plant in.

My recommendation would be to rinse it. It rinsed it and was able to easily remove the slight bit of oil and the floaters before I put it in my tank.

Iíll post pics soon.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
This is one of those times when we have to look at things as part of the learning curve! It says to rinse and I did not do it the first times I bought a new bag as I had no trouble with the used Flourite I had been using. I dummied it and learned for the second go and have not had any trouble when following the guideline to rinse it.
So some thought about why it may need rinsing? It is baked mud and when you ship and handle baked mud it does produce and that dust does need to be rinsed off before use.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hereís the flourite tank after a solid week

https://kerorocks.files.wordpress.co...5e6b688ed.jpeg

Hereís the Blasting sand tank. I set it up today.

https://kerorocks.files.wordpress.co...4d7131160.jpeg

Iím much happier with the blasting sand.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is after 24 hours. I think it's looking good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	`tank 20 long.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	876671  

CMcNam likes this.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 11:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

Looking good! Glad you are enjoying it so far!
KeroRocks likes this.

|

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:54 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Today I'm off to Tractor Supply for a bag of Black Blasting Sand.
I just got a new 45 gallon and I want to put some in, but the closest store to me is over an hour drive.

Does anyone know if I can use a different brand of black blasting sand than the Black Diamond? If so what should I be looking for?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil8 View Post
I just got a new 45 gallon and I want to put some in, but the closest store to me is over an hour drive.

Does anyone know if I can use a different brand of black blasting sand than the Black Diamond? If so what should I be looking for?
There's a few different brands I know there's one called Black Beauty. There's lots of different blasting media. You want coal slag (I know, it doesn't sound like something to put in your aquarium) Do a Google search for "blasting media coal slag" You might find some viable options for shipping.

I've seen different brands advertised at Northern Tool and Harbor Freight.
evil8 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode