post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
which soil to use?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

or

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

i will be mixing more peat moss with either one of these, and my top layer would be mixture of eco-complete and flourite sand. on the bottom layer i will be adding some osmocote plus.

please advise me where to start, my plants are not doing so well with Eco- complete substrate and that's why i have decided to go with this method.
i don't want to boil anything in water either, i hope i can use this method without boiling the soil etc. i might have to add my fishes in the same tank right away as well.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I used the top one. It seems to be working well I capped it with small rocks but it has mixed up alot. Mine gave off some small amounts of ammonia but the addition of plants killed that.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
The first one is the one most commonly recommended and its what I've used, capped with pool filter sand, in my 10g.

"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

ok i got the first one and i also bought http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1&ddkey=Search. i filled these with the peat moss and soil and covered the top with eco complete and bury them in the substrate.

quick question:
i was also going to use lava rock, i want to crush it and use it with the mixture of soil, does it contain iron? does it effect the water hardness.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Bump

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 01:08 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'd keep an eye on your water parameters if you also added in peat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
i was also going to use lava rock, i want to crush it and use it with the mixture of soil, does it contain iron? does it effect the water hardness.
Lava rock is supposed to be completely inert.

If you want to add iron, I'd get some Laterite.

If you need to buffer hardness, I'd get some crushed coral or African cichlid substrate.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I'd keep an eye on your water parameters if you also added in peat.

Lava rock is supposed to be completely inert.

If you want to add iron, I'd get some Laterite.

If you need to buffer hardness, I'd get some crushed coral or African cichlid substrate.
where can i find Laterite? homedepot, lowes?my water is already hard and dont want to add anything else in there. why did you say i should keep an eye on water due to peat moss, i know it only makes the water softer, unless there will any other problem?

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 02:00 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Yes, peat can make your water softer, and fluctuating water parameters are not good for fish. Every time you do a water change on the tank you could dramatically change the parameters in the tank...

Laterite is usually found at LFSs or from any of the online aquarium stores. Just a box should be more than enough.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode