Some Controsoil Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Some Controsoil Questions

I have an established 20 gallon long - been running with current stock for probably 5+ years now. I don't want to replace the whole substrate, but I was thinking of adding an area of controsoil behind a driftwood 'retaining wall' to have a few sword plants.

I know that controsoil is supposed to not leach ammonia like aquasoil does - would I need to worry about that at all (ie put it in a bucket first) or am I good to just dump it straight in?

My second question is that I have read that controsoil has some buffering capacity and will absorb GH. My tank is *very* soft - reading as less than 30ppm GH on the API test strips, and the KH is less than 40ppm. My South American fish are all very happy with this, and I'm worried that adding this soil will pull it even lower, or throw something off balance? I'd prefer a totally inert substrate if one exists, but I don't know if that's impossible when it comes to substrates that can hold nutrients. If that is the case, should I put it in a bucket before hand with an increased GH/KH, so that it reaches it's buffering capacity before being introduced to the aquarium?

Lastly, I saw on another thread here that controsoil shouldn't be used with fish that will sift through it? I wasn't able to find this on the manufacturer's website, but I'd like to check that, as I have kuhli loaches and I wouldn't want to put them at any risk.

My intention is to siphon out the sand currently where I want the soil to go, add the soil, and put the sand back in in other parts of the tank where I'd like to have a little bit deeper.

Thanks!

Tags
buffering, controsoil, south american

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode