• 2 Post By Quagulator
  • 1 Post By gus6464
  • 1 Post By KayakJimW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Substrate choices

There are so many choices of substrates, could really use some insight on the benefits and drawbacks of the following products: Fluval Stratum, Caribsea Eco Complete and Floramax, and Seachem Flourite Black. I plan to keep pretty basic and hardy plants (anubias, javas, crypts, swords). Also, is there any benefit or drawback of mixing these products with each other or with gravel?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:26 PM
Planted Member

Aside from the swords, the plants you've mentioned aren't particularly fussy in terms of substrate. Anubias and java ferns don't need any substrate at all - they can attach to hardscape, and draw their nutrients from the water column. Crypts will need to be rooted, but mine has been doing very well in a totally inert substrate for years now - I bought one C. lutea and now have 5 -7, and I have been horribly negligent with fertilizing (aka I haven't done any until this past couple of months, and while it has reacted well to fertilizing, it was doing perfectly well with nothing but what the fish provided).

I have 2 swords in this same substrate and can say they definitely aren't doing as well. They're both still with me after a few years, but haven't grown and in fact are smaller than when I got them..... Since I've been providing root tabs and fertilizing the column, they've put out a ton of new leaves and gotten bigger again. I haven't used any of the substrates you mentioned, but I think with your plant selection you probably don't need to worry too much about them - they'll do well in whatever you pick.
fhcastillo likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Don't spend money on "planted tank" substrates ... Unless you are going with a Stratum / Aqua soil type substrate.

Eco-Comp is crushed lava rock, nothing of benefit to plants
Flourite is a huge pain to plant into, nothing of benefit to plants

Cheap blasting sand (black magic, black diamond brand) pool filter sand, play sand (it's dirty thougj) or any other aquarium specific sands (that don't alter pH) are good options.

Plain gravel in your choice of color is another cheaper option.
fhcastillo likes this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:38 PM
Planted Member

Here is a Sticky of helpful substrate info: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...icles-faq.html
fhcastillo likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 01:08 PM
Algae Grower

One of the cheapest and messy option is to have a dirted tank. Thats what I have in my both 27 and 72 G tanks. I have about one inch or so organic miracle grow dirt from Lowes, then about another inch of regular gravel to cap it. I have lots of plants, including heavy rootfeeder such as Amazon Sword, and they are doing great.
If you dont want to do that, since the plants that you mentioned, most dont really need substrate anyway. But for Sword and Crypts, you can think about root tabs. Then you can get away with just plain gravel, stick some tabs next to your Sword and Crypts and you are good to go.
Both of these options will be cheap and you can still get what you need.
fhcastillo likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Demineralized soil is somewhat less apt to pollute your tank with raw ammonia than Miracle Grow organic which uses composted animal manure. Something you want to avoid having in any aquarium even if it's 'buried' under gravel

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

For the sake of not spreading misinformation, the meaning of demineralize is to remove "minerals" from a medium (demineralized water for example).

Mineralizing organic matter (organic potting soil) means to decompose organic materials into inorganic, plant available compounds (organic nitrogen found in earthworm castings being broken down into ammonia - nitrate)
Mark Fisher and ReeferRob like this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Controsoil... Cheaper and I think better than Amazonia.
fhcastillo likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 01:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
How big is the tank? As the tank size increases, the amount I'm willing to spend per pound decreases

As far as benefits and drawbacks, I personally feel like it's splitting hairs between substrates unless you're going for active substrates. I'd also avoid Eco Complete, I've used it in a few tanks and it's overpriced for what it is, plus it's not that dense and can be annoying to plant certain plants in. They don't always stay put and float off

Going forward, BDBS and pool filter sand are frontrunners for me, depending if I want dark or light color
Maryland Guppy likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 03:11 AM
Planted Member

I have a 55 gallon with anuabias and crypts and I'm using Flourite black. I really like the look of it. I've used it all floramax Black diamond fluval. I like the look of the black flourite. It's not as dirty as regular flourite. It was pretty easy to clean.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode