Amazonia questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Amazonia questions

I'm gonna be starting a new setup with ADA aquasoil (a lot of it) and remineralised RODI water. I'm interested to know any experience you guys have with it as I am currently kinda confused.

I know that the soil basically removes all KH from the water and I have read that adding KH can cause the soil to release tannins and degrade (?) Of course the more KH present, the faster the buffering will be exhausted.

So how should I remineralise it? If the soil is gonna remove all the KH anyway, is there any point in adding it? Obviously GH would be added regardless.

Surely once the buffering capacity runs out, the pH will swing very easily as I would still be adding 0 KH water to the tank?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ADA mini M low tech with Cherry Shrimp and Dwarf Puffers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 07:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have read that the ADA substrates release large amounts of ammonia and several water changes are required and recommended. So you may wish to do that before any attempts at water remediation.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg of a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
I have read that the ADA substrates release large amounts of ammonia and several water changes are required and recommended. So you may wish to do that before any attempts at water remediation.
Yes, I realise that there is a lot of ammonia released at the start. I planned to do a fishless cycle with daily water changes from the start. Then once ammonia is under control I would plant the tank.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bump

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 11:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (39/100%)
What are you trying to grow in your tank? A potential plant and fauna list might help people answer your question better.

I use ADA Amazonia, Amazonia Light, and Malaya in all of my tanks. One of my 20gal tanks uses Amazonia light and I do a 50% water change with tap water every 3 to 6 months and just top it off with RO water every week in between. I haven't checked my KH in a while, but I can let you know what it sits at right now when I have time to run a test. All of my plants do extremely well in the tank as I use it to grow out plants for sale. I'm also currently using it to grow out an angelfish spawn of about 50 <dime size fish and haven't had any issues. The red cherry shrimp I have in there seem to be doing well and are breeding.

I also have a 2.5 gal nano with a very thin layer of Amazonia (regular) which uses RO water exclusively. I use it to grow out my Sakura and Painted Fire cherry shrimp. I dont add any KH boosters aside from Tantora white mineral stones I get from Amazon. Just from observation, I think my shrimps do better with the rock than without it.

In summary, I dont know how necessary it is for you to adjust the KH of your water (but that obviously depends on what you are trying to grow).

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

ADA 120P, DoAqua 90P, ADA 60P, ADA 30C x2, ADA 45P, ADA Mini-M

Tags
ada, amazonia, aquasoil, rodi, substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode