Hard water planted substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By elusive77

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hard water planted substrate?

Hi all! I intend to set up a 10 gallon hi-tech planted tank for my Aphanius mento. However, most dedicated aquatic plant substrates encourage soft, acidic water, while Aphanius mento demands hard, alkaline water. What should I use for a planted substrate for these fish? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:09 PM
Planted Member

You don't need a "Plant" substrate to grow good looking plants. None of my tanks have ever used it. Many of the better looking tanks on here use an inert substrate like Black Diamond Blasting Sand. It won't affect your water at all. So if you already have hard water you're good to go. If not add some Gh booster after each water change and you'll be good. And then for the plants you can just add ferts directly to the water column. They will grow great as long as you get them everything they need.....ie.....light, co2, ferts.
Grah the great likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok. Will a dirted tank work? I am using a half tablespoon marine salt per gallon for the Aphanius, and the pennywort, duckweed, and java moss grow regardless.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:53 PM
Planted Member

I've never done a dirted tank, so I couldn't tell you how that might affect the water. There are others here who do though. And I'm sure a search of the forums could give you some information about that. I prefer just using an inert substrate and adding ferts to the water.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

OK. Thanks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't use dirt but I do have hard alkaline water. I use blasting sand, or pool filter sand to cap a layer of oil dry and a thin layer of ironite fertilizer. I have had no issues growing crypts, native ludwigia, italian val, or sunset hygrophila planted directly in it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode