Has anyone tried Landen aquatic soil? Feedback? - The Planted Tank Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Has anyone tried Landen aquatic soil? Feedback?

Hi,

I saw a mention of Landen aquatic soil, and wanted to see if anyone has used it, and what they thought. Particularly, I'm wondering:

1) Does it have an initial flush of nutrients (ammonia spike) like the ADA Amazonia does?

2) What is its life expectancy? I've been reading that Mr. Aqua is very slow to break down into mud, whereas ADA crumbles in about a year.

3) Any other details? I like the black color, and the grain size (3 - 5 mm grain size) seems in line w/ similar engineered soil products. ARe the grains quite uniform? Highly variable? Any other traits which would be worth knowing?

Thanks very much, folks!
-Jane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 05:09 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I saw it for sale today at Han Aquatics and wondered the same, but there were no reviews yet.

If they sold it in less than $30 bags, I'd just buy some and experiment, but I can't find a smaller size bag.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 12:07 PM
Algae Grower

I know this is an old thread but i tried it out. Only had it 5 or 6 weeks so far but i can say it doesnt leach ammonia like amazonia. Have been doing fishless cycle adding pure ammonida to feed bb. Also seems like it doesnt crumble and break down as easily when replanting

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 08:23 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
It's not that old, @Hojae84. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I've had two separate batches of it (one obtained via Amazon, another from a shop in the DC area) and have found it to be... average. Takes a lot of it to maintain buffering capacity and nutrient content appears to vary drastically from batch to batch. One batch I have grew really nice crypts and bacopa. The other didn't do much at all.

Both of my batches leeched ammonia at varying points. One tank was about 2PPM for a couple weeks and the other was about 4PPM for 7-8 days.

I'd use it again if someone gave it to me but I wouldn't pay for it when there are better, more affordable products readily available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
It's not that old, @Hojae84. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I've had two separate batches of it (one obtained via Amazon, another from a shop in the DC area) and have found it to be... average. Takes a lot of it to maintain buffering capacity and nutrient content appears to vary drastically from batch to batch. One batch I have grew really nice crypts and bacopa. The other didn't do much at all.

Both of my batches leeched ammonia at varying points. One tank was about 2PPM for a couple weeks and the other was about 4PPM for 7-8 days.

I'd use it again if someone gave it to me but I wouldn't pay for it when there are better, more affordable products readily available.
Such as? I'm looking to order some substrate asap for a new tank and looking for suggestions. I know I can't go wrong with the standard ADA but I'd like to see what some other better priced but similar quality options are out there.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 07:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Such as? I'm looking to order some substrate asap for a new tank and looking for suggestions. I know I can't go wrong with the standard ADA but I'd like to see what some other better priced but similar quality options are out there.
I almost bought the Landen substrate. But Fluval Stratum is $2.10 per pound if you buy the big bag on amazon. It's 2.61 per pound if you buy 8.8 pound bag. The landen substrate is 2.60 per pound for their 10 lb bag. So basically the same price or slightly more expensive then Stratum.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2020, 04:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have a 20L with 18lbs of Stratum and a 10 gallon tank with 5L (about 10lbs) of Landen soil. The 20 has been running for a few months, but I just started the Landen tank yesterday. It's a bit of an experiment for myself to see which I prefer.

It's early in the process, but I am definitely experiencing an ammonia spike right now in the Landen tank. I did not have such a spike with Stratum.

With Stratum, I had a great big dust storm when I flooded it. With Landen, there has been literally zero dust in the water. I wonder if this difference is solely due to packaging: Landen is vacuum packed, and Stratum is packed like a bag of potato chips.

I will try post more about my experience as the tank matures.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 02:14 AM
Algae Grower

Landen appears to be sucking up all the PO4 I can feed it. I have been giving it close to 3ppm per day, and every time I test it, PO4 is back to what I call "very zero" where it looks like the 0ppm on the saltwater card, which is yellower than the 0ppm on the freshwater card. I have not been dosing NO3, just KH2PO4 and K2SO4 (and micros). NO3 is down to 5ppm today, and ammonia is down to 1.5ppm. So it looks like I might start dosing NO3.

Saturday was day 0. Sunday, no WC; Monday, 57%WC followed by a 77%WC; Tue, 68%; Wed 57%; Thu 65%. Today, none. Tomorrow is WC day for the other tanks, and I will probably change this one again as well.

Naturally, during my WCs I have had to re-plant some HC and a stem of Cabomba. I am still amazed that there is literally zero dust from this soil during these activities in stark contrast with the Stratum. I'm very curious to see if this continues with age.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 07:12 AM
Algae Grower

Interesting observations. Following this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog:
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 08:42 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
I have one tank about a year old and one about 3 months. I like it a lot, better than my last batch of ada which stated breaking down almost immediately (that was a bad batch I believe, not typical) I plan to change a couple more tanks over to it in the near future

It only comes in one size bag as far as I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivvel View Post
Landen appears to be sucking up all the PO4 I can feed it. I have been giving it close to 3ppm per day, and every time I test it, PO4 is back to what I call "very zero"
It will do that for about a month and then starts to slow down. I usually dose about 10 ppm PO4 after water changes for the first month, plus the 5-6 ppm it gets from regular dosing per week. This is with high light and hungry stems, slower tanks probably wouldnt need that much but the soil will do its thing regardless. That first month it will zero all that out completely in just a few days. And then say 5 extra for a couple more months. ADA aquasoil does the same thing.
Blue Ridge Reef, Greggz and zivvel like this.

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 09:41 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
@burr740, I thought your tank used BDBS? I must have missed the transition.

I'm adding Landen to my list, if I ever need a new substrate.
Greggz and Sarpijk like this.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 07:06 PM
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
@burr740, I thought your tank used BDBS? I must have missed the transition.

I'm adding Landen to my list, if I ever need a new substrate.
I have seven tanks The main Dutch is still BDBS. Its next on the list to swap but probably wont get done until after this year's AGA in Sept

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 02:47 AM
Algae Grower

I didn't get to the Landen tank WC until Sunday, and I changed 57%. Ammonia is 1.5ppm again today, and nitrates 30ppm -- I dosed NO3 & PO4 after WC, but I hadn't measured anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
It will do that for about a month and then starts to slow down. I usually dose about 10 ppm PO4 after water changes for the first month, plus the 5-6 ppm it gets from regular dosing per week. This is with high light and hungry stems, slower tanks probably wouldnt need that much but the soil will do its thing regardless. That first month it will zero all that out completely in just a few days. And then say 5 extra for a couple more months. ADA aquasoil does the same thing.
@burr740 I recall reading about your AS vs. PO4 battle, but I did not realize the same would happen with Landen. Have you also seen massive ammonia spikes with it? (Did you ever buy an ammonia test kit?)

Have you had any bags of Landen that produce dust when you flood them or move stems around?

Based on your experience, I'm going to ramp up my PO4 dosing even further post-WC. I was doing 3ppm post-WC, and I was planning to dose 1.5ppm 3x/week now that I'm moving to weekly WC. I'm going to try 10ppm post-WC and see where it goes.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 05:02 PM
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivvel View Post
I didn't get to the Landen tank WC until Sunday, and I changed 57%. Ammonia is 1.5ppm again today, and nitrates 30ppm -- I dosed NO3 & PO4 after WC, but I hadn't measured anything.

@burr740 I recall reading about your AS vs. PO4 battle, but I did not realize the same would happen with Landen. Have you also seen massive ammonia spikes with it? (Did you ever buy an ammonia test kit?)

Have you had any bags of Landen that produce dust when you flood them or move stems around?

Based on your experience, I'm going to ramp up my PO4 dosing even further post-WC. I was doing 3ppm post-WC, and I was planning to dose 1.5ppm 3x/week now that I'm moving to weekly WC. I'm going to try 10ppm post-WC and see where it goes.

Haha I did finally break down and grab some ammonia dipsticks but thats the extent of it. The latest 75 with Landen hit around 1.5- 2 ppm every couple of days for about 2.5 weeks. Then all of a sudden stopped, it went from that to zero in one day and never showed up again. Probably a lot to do with the cycle maturing. No fish so I wasnt too worried about what it did besides melting sensitive plants. More idle curiosity than anything

None of my Landen has been dusty at all, either at first or a few months later. Think Ive used a total of 11 bags so far
zivvel and Immortal1 like this.

Last edited by burr740; 04-21-2020 at 05:57 PM. Reason: .
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 07:51 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
I have one tank about a year old and one about 3 months. I like it a lot, better than my last batch of ada which stated breaking down almost immediately (that was a bad batch I believe, not typical) I plan to change a couple more tanks over to it in the near future

It only comes in one size bag as far as I know

@burr740 great tank pic!

What are the 3 plants I've circled in red?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode