substrate cleaning question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
substrate cleaning question

Hello folks,

I have a tank with the Seachem Aquasolum substrate. It is one of those buffering substrates that comes in little balls. The problem I am having is that it tends to "grow" stuff on it. There are many areas of my tank where it is bare substrate with no plants. In this area the Aquasolum seems to be ok. But near the base, and underneath the cholla logs, for example, is where there is some accumulation of shrimp poo and decayed wood bits. But this turns into some slimy sticky goo that grabs onto the substrate pellets when I try to remove it, and it also really stinks. I am worried about growing some "bad stuff".

Similarly, near the area where I feed the shrimp there are leftover crumbs and shrimp poo and this also turns into a sticky smelly goo. It's hard for me to vacuum this area because the goo sticks to the pellets, which are really light anyway. And when I vacuum, it kicks up a cloud of grossness.

Anyway, I just want to know what I should do about this. Some people say they never vacuum, but in my case things would get really gross. My two CRS shrimp died recently due to bacterial infection, so I wonder if this could have been the cause.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode