mts questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
mts questions

i think this is the way i am going to go for when i set up my 20 gallon. i have a few questions.

following the plan that is listed in the sticky here some of the ingredients are dolomite, pottery clay, and muriate of potash.

- is the pottery clay any clay that would be called pottery clay? i have 10 lb of it but it is grey. i threw away the packaging ages ago and i have no idea what it is besides "pottery clay" and it will dry out if i were to take it out of the plastic bag. will this be ok?

- dolomite, when i search that on a hardware store site it comes up as lime. is that the same thing? how much will i need for a 20 gallon tank (and probably a 10 gallon tank too, i will most likely do both tanks)? they are selling it in 25 lb bags, i don't know what i will do with so much.

- muriate of potash, i can't find this at all when i search. is there another name for this? is there anything else i can use?

and, one more question, do i have to cover the soil with sand or gravel? i think i would prefer just the soil. i was talking to the girl at the pet store today (she is very knowledgeable about fish/tanks/plants) and she said that she didn't recommend any of the gravels that they had at the store. she said that she couldn't get any of the good stuff in for any cheaper than i could get online so they stopped getting it in. so, i don't really have any option for getting good gravel/sand unless i order something like flourite and that is expensive! i could use kitty litter (after testing it) but i don't like the colour of it. i would prefer the dark colour of soil. will it be ok with just the soil?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
For the clay, I tasted a little bit and if it taste like sand/ iron, thats it, the other clay will be like very small particles and you will taste its not the natural thing. (they have the clay at michaels.

The dolomite is not lime dolomite, this is something different (I used crushed corals could not find domomite)

Muriate of potash is Potasium Chloride; you can find that online.
You have to cover the soil with gravel, just follow the steps in the sticky, its pretty easy. Try to find sand or small gravel at a place where they sell stones/ gravel, its realy cheap there.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thank you

i got the clay that i have from michael's. it was michael's in canada but i am assuming it would be the same stuff.

the problem with covering the soil with small crushed stone or sand is that i don't like the light colour that is most common at hardware stores, it seems. oh well, i will have to look to see what i can find.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:26 AM
Algae Grower

^black tahitian moon sand maybe?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
When I was doing my first MTS tank, I went to Michaels here in the states, and they didn't have any clays that would be usable in a tank--all of them were polymers. Not sure if it would be different in Canada.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Planted Member

Is it possible that crushing an original clay pot to a powder might work as a source of clay for MTS if you can't find raw unfired clay?

Eheim Pimp #459 - 2213, 2234
SunSun Pimp #47 - (Perfect) HW302
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sejoy View Post
^black tahitian moon sand maybe?
i am not sure what that is. where would i get it? i guess i will have to order it online no matter what. darn. that will make the price sky high again. my lfs doesn't have it or she would have told me about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offpath View Post
When I was doing my first MTS tank, I went to Michaels here in the states, and they didn't have any clays that would be usable in a tank--all of them were polymers. Not sure if it would be different in Canada.
i am not sure. i bought it almost 3 years ago now. i actually can't believe it isn't dried into a solid block already. hmmm, i will have to do some research before i use it. thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRS View Post
Is it possible that crushing an original clay pot to a powder might work as a source of clay for MTS if you can't find raw unfired clay?
that is a great question. could i use a terra cotta pot and crush it up?

thanks guys!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

actually i have had people create stalactites and stalagmites for their blind tetra tank. i think they used that "pottery clay" just make sure that your fire them, just go to a pottery place and ask them to fire them. it is for a price i think but not too much.

Happy plantkeeping!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

check it out!!!! -->

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibblemania1414 View Post
actually i have had people create stalactites and stalagmites for their blind tetra tank. i think they used that "pottery clay" just make sure that your fire them, just go to a pottery place and ask them to fire them. it is for a price i think but not too much.
For MTS you don't need to bake the clay, you need to make it wet and break it down to mix it in the soil to have a more sturdy mix!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

does anyone know if i can use a terra cotta pot broke up/ground up?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy View Post
does anyone know if i can use a terra cotta pot broke up/ground up?
No you can't use it; the clay is to bind the soil together and for the iron.
Terra cotta pots or chips don't leach iron or don't bind the soil.

The brand you get from michaels is Natural Clay (white letters in blue circle) Terra cotta in left upper corner. Cardboard box Yellow label.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 04:59 AM
Algae Grower

For the dolomite you might want to check your local healthfood store, they will often sell pure dolomite, and if they don't have it in the store they can usually order it for you for no extra shipping costs, I got a 16oz bottle for around $7.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode