Removing substrate without removing snails? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Removing substrate without removing snails?

I tried a dirted tank and it did not go as planned. I've had a TERRIBLE algae problem for months to the point that I had to move all my fish to another tank. I'm having zero problems keeping the water crystal clear in this other tank so I'm convinced the dirt is my issue. I want to remove all the substrate while rescuing my MTS but can't seem to think of a great way to do it. I know I could keep a few snails and let them repopulate but my issue is more that I don't want to let any of them die. Any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You could run tank water through the substrate in a sieve potentially? It'd depend on individual grain size and the amount that you have though I guess.

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The tannins/staining is going to point at the dirted sub as the culprit. You could try a bag of Purigen in your filter to remove the staining and organics, but you'll have to keep it replenished over the next year either by cleaning the Purigen with bleach, or just replacing it every so often.

If your heart is set on tear down and rebuild - Malaysian trumpets are pretty hardy. Toss some cucumber into the tank, or something else that they'll flock to and munch on and then just grab a hand full of them. You only need a few, and they'll breed back up to whatever quantity the tank can sustain in no time based on food availability.

My tank journal.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode