Cycling with ADA in the first week in a 180G...50% WC everday!? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jeff5614

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cycling with ADA in the first week in a 180G...50% WC everday!?

So I do know the ADA amazonia releases alot of ammonia initially.

That water change routine is killer for a 180g, that is a lot of wasted water.

Is it possible to fill it up only 50% so I am only changing 45G of water everyday?

Or will that be a bad idea since i cannot operate my overflow/sump. I can, however keep my seeded eheim 2217 going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 03:28 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
There is a caveat: with the same volume of Amazonia but with 50% of water your ammonia ppm would technically double.
Another caveat is that with the return pump off, I would expect lower circulation resulting in Amazonia leaching at a slower rate.

Personally, I would fill up 50% and watch the ammonia levels (> 4 ppm might stall the cycle).

With a seeded 2217 and a bunch of weeds, you should cycle < 2 weeks, ime.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
There is a caveat: with the same volume of Amazonia but with 50% of water your ammonia ppm would technically double.
Another caveat is that with the return pump off, I would expect lower circulation resulting in Amazonia leaching at a slower rate.

Personally, I would fill up 50% and watch the ammonia levels (> 4 ppm might stall the cycle).

With a seeded 2217 and a bunch of weeds, you should cycle < 2 weeks, ime.
Meaning I no longer have to follow the recommended water change schedule because my bacteria colony *should* be enough to convert all ammonia to nitrite to nitrate BEFORE it gets to toxic levels in the water column?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 07:44 AM
Planted Member

I cycled a 55 gallon with ada about 2 months ago. I did 2x water change a week and did decently fine. maybe 1/4th of my plants died due to high ammonia but no algae. I'd run purigen and add a few bottles of bacteria to kick in the cycle asap.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 12:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse370z View Post
So I do know the ADA amazonia releases alot of ammonia initially.

That water change routine is killer for a 180g, that is a lot of wasted water.

Is it possible to fill it up only 50% so I am only changing 45G of water everyday?

Or will that be a bad idea since i cannot operate my overflow/sump. I can, however keep my seeded eheim 2217 going.
The water change routine is killer? What about the cost to fill a 180g tank with 3" of Aquasoil!

Filling it full you should be able to get away with every other day but I wouldn't push past that. This will also allow you to run everything in the tank as it would normally run. In the end its the same amount of water being changed just less work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
I've cycled tanks with aqua soil and no water changes. You will be fine. I would do 50% weekly for 4-6 weeks if it was me. Just keep an eye on ammonia levels
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 12:15 PM
Algae Grower

Why would water changing be this much of a problem if you are not using RO? I would just do the water changes and not create unnecessary complications.

Also why not cycle the sump with only water in the tank before the amazonia? It would be much better for the plants and it would keep the algae away. Dealing with algae in a 180G would be quite the chore.

Instagram Account: @KeeperOfASilentWorld
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 12:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
When I use ADA, I always plan way ahead so no livestock is involved until its time. Although not everyone has this option which I can understand
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Water changes are pretty essential to most healthy tanks, especially when using aquasoil. Trying to find ways around them from the very beginning does not bode well for the longevity of this tank.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFC View Post
Water changes are pretty essential to most healthy tanks, especially when using aquasoil. Trying to find ways around them from the very beginning does not bode well for the longevity of this tank.
It's like buying a car and trying to get out of regular oil changes.
roadmaster and MCFC like this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
I disagree with the 50% daily method.

Using the car oil analogy, it's like buying a new car and changing the oil every week. It's just not needed imo. Other frequencies are plenty.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFC View Post
Agreed. Water is cheap, usually, and cutting corners frequently does not net the best results. ADA has established a proscribed method of setting up and running a tank and their formula Works for those who follow those methods.
@Amuse370z
If you read TPT with any frequency, you'll read posts about how cycles stall with the answer usually being the ammonia level being too high.

If you have a known good path to success, follow it - good results will likely follow.

My tank journal.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 09:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
You can always do a dry start method for your carpeting plants. Do that till it fills in and the majority of your ammonia should be consumed. Then fill it with water and you can get away with slacking on the once a day water change that must be done in the beginning.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode