Equivalent product of Tropica Plant Growth Substrate in the USA? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Seattle_Aquarist
  • 1 Post By wisey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Equivalent product of Tropica Plant Growth Substrate in the USA?

Hi All,

Iím setting up a planted nano this coming week, the first tank Iíve had the chance to set up since I moved from the UK to the USA. I thought I had brought half a bag of Tropica Plant Growth Substrate with me when I moved, but I couldnít find it today in my boxes of aquarium stuff and realised I threw it out in case there was an issue shipping stuff like that in our shipping container, wasnít sure if there were customs issues with organic material etc.

I therefore have the dilemma that I have ordered plants arriving early this week and now I donít have the substrate. I went online, only place I see it listed is Big Alís and its out of stock. Itís a small tank and I really donít have space in the layout to have a sand front and soil section for planting, it just doesnít work with the scape I have planned.

Iím wondering if there is a substrate more commonly available in the US that performs the same function as the Tropica Plant Growth Substrate? Iím look8mg for that base layer of nutrients that I can layer below inert sand so my Crypts can root feed.

Thanks in anticipation, hope you can help me!

Wisey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 02:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

Could you do dirt with a sand cap? What about aqua soil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 03:38 AM
Algae Grower

Both ADA Amazonia and UNS Controsoil are both good options readily available in the US

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I believe Amazonia and Controsoil are both soils, rather than a base Substrate that I can cap with inert sand. As I said in my original post, Iím scaping a nano tank where I donít have the space to have separate soil and sand areas, the sand will run front to back but I need a nutrient rich layer below the sand which I have previously achieved with the Tropica product which seems to be rare in the USA. I guess I may just have to use root tabs in the sand to root feed my crypts if there is no other solution, but Iím a little surprised nobody has released a similar product here. Iím finding time after time since moving to the USA that product availability seems to be significantly behind what was available in the UK and Europe.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 04:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisey View Post
I believe Amazonia and Controsoil are both soils, rather than a base Substrate that I can cap with inert sand. As I said in my original post, Iím scaping a nano tank where I donít have the space to have separate soil and sand areas, the sand will run front to back but I need a nutrient rich layer below the sand which I have previously achieved with the Tropica product which seems to be rare in the USA. I guess I may just have to use root tabs in the sand to root feed my crypts if there is no other solution, but Iím a little surprised nobody has released a similar product here. Iím finding time after time since moving to the USA that product availability seems to be significantly behind what was available in the UK and Europe.

Thatís probably true. What youíre describing is what most people set up as a dirted tank. Organic Miracle Grow soil underneath a sand cap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 04:33 AM
Algae Grower

Maybe something like seachem flourite then?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Quote:
Hi All,

Iím setting up a planted nano this coming week, the first tank Iíve had the chance to set up since I moved from the UK to the USA. I thought I had brought half a bag of Tropica Plant Growth Substrate with me when I moved, but I couldnít find it today in my boxes of aquarium stuff and realised I threw it out in case there was an issue shipping stuff like that in our shipping container, wasnít sure if there were customs issues with organic material etc.

I therefore have the dilemma that I have ordered plants arriving early this week and now I donít have the substrate. I went online, only place I see it listed is Big Alís and its out of stock. Itís a small tank and I really donít have space in the layout to have a sand front and soil section for planting, it just doesnít work with the scape I have planned.

Iím wondering if there is a substrate more commonly available in the US that performs the same function as the Tropica Plant Growth Substrate? Iím look8mg for that base layer of nutrients that I can layer below inert sand so my Crypts can root feed.

Wisey
Hi @wisey,

Per Tropica:
Quote:
Natural concentrate made of clay and peat fibres
So you could use a calcined clay product like Safe-T-Sorb. It has a high CEC like Tropica Substrate but it will lower the pH and hardness in the tank. There are several threads here on TPT covering Safe-T-Sorb.

10 gallon with Safe-T-Sorb, low tech, low light ([email protected])
Sarpijk and ZEUSFL like this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for all the advice. Hopefully I have understood what I have read here and in another thread about Safe-T-Sorb. I understand now that the Tropica substrate just absorbs and holds nutrients and makes it available to plant roots and therefore any other product that does the same will hopefully suffice. I tried to get hold of Safe-T-Sorb, but could not get it on Amazon and was finding it hard to get it in less than 40lb bags elsewhere which made shipping very expensive. I saw others discussing Turface MVP in the Safe-T-Sorb thread, so decided to try that as I could Prime that here by Wednesday. Fingers crossed I now have everything I need, my substrate should be here Wednesday and my plants should arrive from Buceplant on Wednesday also. I should be all set to scape my aquarium over the holidays!

Thanks again!

Wisey.
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 02:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Hi All,

Wisey

Could this be what youíre talking about?

https://shop.glassaqua.com/collectio...-aquarium-soil

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 09:15 AM
Algae Grower

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode