Best Soil - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best Soil

What type of soil or combo of soil/gravel will last for many years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Some of this depends on experience as well as what you are wanting to achieve in the way of planting. If you are somewhat new, I do not recommend going with a true soil as it does have some things to make it more difficult than others. So as a reasonably easy, reasonably cheap and controllable item, many like pool filter sand as it will grow lots of different plants and not have some of the "fussy" things like being stirred into a dust cloud if we move things too much or fish dig. We may sometimes feel we need soil to grow as that is the way the do in a garden but aquatic plants get much of the food from their leaves and that makes it okay to feed the water, and it gets to the roots. Some plants do feed heavy from the roots and those we can do things like root tabs to add what they might need extra.
Some also like items like Flourite, which is a baked clay which takes years to gradually degrade as it is somewhat between soil and chips of brick! I started with Flourite and gradually moved into other items which got mixed together, so that all my tanks are a mix of plain gravel, Flourite and sand as well as some plain garden soil which got spilled/mixed in.
My personal thoughts in a nutshell?
Pool filter sand is cheap and easy to work with, holds plants and grows most anything I've tried.
Flourite- somewhat more expensive, seems to do much the same as sand but does have a different "look due to color.
Soil-A natural if we can get it without lots of debris decaying like leaf ibts, stems, etc and free of pesticides but it tends to be a bit of nuisance to move and change or if fish dig. Not one I recommend to get the first start.
Tons of other options but not what I feel is needed and I go simple when possible.
Julip likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode