• 2 Post By Ken Keating1
  • 1 Post By MEandYouPhoto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Which of these options are best to use with BDBS

Hello everyone.

So I am getting ready to put together my semi-high tech 10 gallon planted shrimp tank. (journal soon) But before I get started I need some advice. I want to build this tank with medium grit BDBS (2040 size) and I plan to do a fair sized slope on one side of the tank. My plants are going to be Monte Carlo for the carpet. along with some Staurogyne Repens and Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'. I am using Seiryu stone for my hardscape.

I believe the Monte Carlo will benefit from the BDBS to grow in, as will the Staurogyne Repens but I am worried about the Alternanthera Reineckii 'Mini' not having enough to have the roots grab on to. I also plan to have the AR Mini at the top of the mound.

I have a few options available as far as building the substrate up. I can go with just plain BDBS and substrate supports, Eco-Complete with a BDBS Cap, Pea Gravel with BDBS Cap, and Lava Rock with BDBS Cap. ( I could also bag up the Eco Complete or Pea Gravel or Laval Rock in a media bag and place it under the sand.

This is the part I really just need some advice on. What is going to be the best combination (or is going just straight sand best)

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Torn down 10/2018

Current Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Any of your options will work fine as long as substrate depth is sufficient depth to handle holding down bare stems, say 1.5 to 2". Due to the growth of stem plants I'm constantly topping the tops, replanting, and pulling out the base with roots. I've seen no difference in growth rates of stem plants that have established roots versus newly replanted tops without roots.
Doogy262 and burr740 like this.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I appreciate the answer Ken Keating1, I am just wondering if i need to be worried about any issues down the line. Like;

1. Will the roots get caught up in the bag and cause problems?

2. If I do not bag the media what can I expect as far as substrate mixing. I know the finer sand will fill gaps and potentially push the coarser substrate to the surface but other than aesthetics is there anything else I need to be concerned with?

Any other sage advice from people who have already done this would be helpful.

Torn down 10/2018

Current Build

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
The roots will grow through the bag. No harm is done until one tries to uproot plants; the bag will either come up or one must break the roots off at the bag interface.

Personally I would go with BDBS with substrate supports. The substrate would be consistent, you only have to purchase one product, and there's no having to worry about the substrate intermixing. Hopefully others will comment and provide suggestions.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Took your advice and just went with BDBS and substrate supports.

Here is a pic of it on day 1 of DSM

varanidguy likes this.

Torn down 10/2018

Current Build

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode