Can I use Flourite black as bottom with Fluval Stratum at top? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Quagulator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can I use Flourite black as bottom with Fluval Stratum at top?

Hi, I'm going to use fluval stratum on a 75 gallon tank but unfortunately using only fluval stratum will be too expensive plus the plants doesn't seem to stick pretty well with fluval stratum so I was thinking to use a layer of flourite black at bottom and then using fluval stratum at top, with this my plants should have a better way to stick at bottom and not float.

what do you think about this guys.

Planted Tank 30 Gallons
Ecotech Radion XR15FW
GLA PPS-PRO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 07:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

They will mix eventually, especially if you are planting deep into the base layer of fluorite.

The Stratum will break down into much in 1-2 years, and will mix into the fluorite pretty bad. If you are okay with this than go ahead.

The stratum is also a buffering substrate and should really be used with gH boosted RO water only.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

When you say "will break down" what do you mean with that?

Do you mean that it will become dust like the Flourite?

So in 1-2 years I will have to remove everything or that exactly will gonna happen after the Stratum breaks down?

Why should the stratum be used with RO/DI only?

Planted Tank 30 Gallons
Ecotech Radion XR15FW
GLA PPS-PRO

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 08:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by enb141 View Post
When you say "will break down" what do you mean with that?

It will break down into muck. Picture the nastiest swap you can. Reach into a black mucky part of that swap and pull up the "substrate". That is what the stratum will turn into.

Do you mean that it will become dust like the Flourite?

Fluorite is not dust at all. The normal grained Fluorite is "flaky" - irregular, jagged gravel. Fluorite sand is, well sand

So in 1-2 years I will have to remove everything or that exactly will gonna happen after the Stratum breaks down?

You don't have to remove it, it just is muck and is very easily disturbed and causes the water to look like chocolate milk if you uproot any plants.

Why should the stratum be used with RO/DI only?

Stratum is a buffering substrate. It strips carbonates out of the water (carbonates from tap water) which leaves you with very soft water, and 0 degrees kH (carbonate hardness). The Stratum can only strip so much from your water, so as you do water changes you will be causing pH swings, and "filling up" the Stratum. Over time it will lose its buffering ability, and your tank water will shift to your tap water in terms of hardness and pH. By using RO water, you are not "filling up" the substrate with carbonates, and it will maintain a stable pH of around 6.0-6.5.
Answered in bold. I hope this helps.
enb141 likes this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the explanation

Planted Tank 30 Gallons
Ecotech Radion XR15FW
GLA PPS-PRO

Tags
flourite black, fluval stratum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode