Content ratios for dirt - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Content ratios for dirt

There is a local producer who's bagged premium mix I've used to great success in the garden. Its certified for Organic Vegetable gardening, ratios are 50% peat, 25% Compost, 25% topsoil. The compost includes marine content (lots of good shell bits in it). Quite a bit of wood bits in it but thats easy to screen out.

I read that we dont want a lot of peat for our purpose, but my understanding is that the benchmark Miracle Gro Organic Choice is about the same peat content anyway ("50-55%").

Thoughts?

Sidenote: if anyone is wondering why I just dont buy MiracleGro, its not on any shelves locally, and after reading this I dont entirely trust that company anyway.

Current aquarium(s): 9Gal cube - very low tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would want 50 % plain topsoil, and 25 % peat.No telling what compost could be comprised of so I would maybe not want this.
Would swap compost for clay material like kitty litter,safe-t-sorb. (help hold nutrient's longer).
Would not want shell grit unless for some reason I had very soft water for it could increase GH (general hardness).
Assuming fishes at some point are to be kept.
My two cents.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
I would want 50 % plain topsoil, and 25 % peat.No telling what compost could be comprised of so I would maybe not want this.
Would swap compost for clay material like kitty litter,safe-t-sorb. (help hold nutrient's longer).

Interesting. I questioned the stuff I can get locally precisely because its VERY similar to MiracleGro, yet MiracleGro does not sound like it has the attributes NPT is looking for: its heavy on peat, ostensibly doesn't have any clay to speak of, comes with a generous heap of wood shavings, and I dont think we know the exact compost material (some of their other products mention chicken litter but I'm not sure about the potting mix specifically).

Current aquarium(s): 9Gal cube - very low tech.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Is the ammonia from organic matter in soils that plants much prefer over nitrogen however,too much light for too long, combined with too little plant mass to assimilate the ammonia,and is prime condition for Algae.(along with possibly too little available CO2 /nutrients for light energy being used)
Many have used Miracle grow in planted tanks myself included.
Would always try and get as many plants as I could to begin with and weekly water change should help keep ammonia levels in check.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode