Sand as an only substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sand as an only substrate?

I love the look of sand in aquariums and am thinking of using pool filter sand in my upcoming tank. After poking around a few threads, I'm seeing that most people put a layer of MTS or some other substrate under their sand. Is this necessary? Or can you just use the sand with some nutrients/root tabs for the plants and still have much success?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
I used play sand only, and put rootmedic tabs by the plants and had good growth.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pool filter sand with root tablets, or osmocote ought to work OK. Just make sure to bury the fertilizer all the way to the bottom of the tank under the sand.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
Can definitely do fine with just sand and root tabs, +water column ferts if you need it. that's what I have in my tank ^^

SunSun Pimp # 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sweet! bought a bag yesterday. Thanks!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i have just sand in my tank! don't feel left out..

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
make sure you WASH THE SAND. you need to wash, wash,wash,wash,wash,wash,wash, and WASH SOME MORE!! if you dont wash youll have cloudy water. i celaned mine really good, and had no cloudiness

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
make sure you WASH THE SAND. you need to wash, wash,wash,wash,wash,wash,wash, and WASH SOME MORE!! if you dont wash youll have cloudy water. i celaned mine really good, and had no cloudiness
+1

If you don't rinse your sand very well you can end up with a crazy thick nasty film on everything. Its just the micro particles that won't settle but the foam it creates sticks to everything and can really jam up a filter. I have a sand tank with Seachem root tabs and I get awesome growth out of my swords and crypts...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, even the pool filter sand, which is graded to be all one size. Well, some particles rub against each other during shipping, and create some fines.
Nowhere near as bad as play sand, though.
If you rinsed away all the fines in play sand I'll bet you'd wash away half the bag of stuff you bought.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good to know! I was wondering about how much I was going to have to wash it. Thanks for the advice!

I actually picked up another bag yesterday so that I can also use it in one of my smaller tanks, and so I'd be sure to have enough, so I now have 100lbs. Whatever I don't use in a tank will probably end up as a mixing media for painting at some point.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode