BDBS vs PFS - The Planted Tank Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
After seeing so many people not recommend going with Eco Complete..... I've been wondering about black diamond blasting sand.

My plants aren't doing anything root wise in pool filter sand, so how does the black diamond do so much better? I'm assuming it's a larger grain in the 20/40 size?

Does it compact as much as PFS or is oxygen able to pass through it?

Don't want to have the same situation I've currently run into if I go with BDBS. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm also assuming like PFS.... No fish waste or food can get past the BDBS top layer to fertilize plants?

May be just best for me to go with eco complete or a normal gravel after all but wanted to hear thoughts on this sand vs pool filter sand.

ricktfoster likes this.

Finnex 36" Planted Plus 24/7 SE for sale!

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-11-2018 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
After using all that you mention: PFS, Eco-complete, BDS, my opinions are:

I dont care for PFS due to compaction issues. Others experience may vary.

BDS-- I do not like the looks of BDS in the aquarium- aesthetics choice on my part. Other opinions may vary. If your concern is compaction - I didn't notice a problem with this. I did have an issue with my corydoras of a higher occurrence of bacterial issues. This has been reported as a side-effect of the sharpness of the medium on bottom-dwellers undersides. If you dont have bottom-dwellers, no issue here.

I have used Eco-complete many times. I like using it as a base and topping with Caribsea sand. I like to use Caribsea sand, a grain size from .5 mm to 1.0 mm, due to the excellent results I get more from from my fish than my plants. For me, fish always come first and this has proven best in my case. However, I have good results with plant growth as well.

Let me stress that this is my experience and opinion... before someone wants to misconstrue my opinion for law.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 03:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I haven’t had any issues with BDS compaction or harming cories/any fish. I did put some Controsoil under it for nutrients and I have a colony of MTS to keep things aerated (like earth worms in a garden).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think I just don't want to make a lateral move going from PFS to bdbs if that's the case.

PFS I see some people doing well. Me, it just hasn't worked and don't want to repeat it.

I have a tractor supply not far from here so I think I'll try it. Can't hurt and won't be an expensive test. If it doesn't give me the results I like, I can then move to eco complete finally. If it does better than the PFS, then it's a win too!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 03:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparker2005 View Post
I think I just don't want to make a lateral move going from PFS to bdbs if that's the case.

PFS I see some people doing well. Me, it just hasn't worked and don't want to repeat it.

I have a tractor supply not far from here so I think I'll try it. Can't hurt and won't be an expensive test. If it doesn't give me the results I like, I can then move to eco complete finally. If it does better than the PFS, then it's a win too!

Before the MTS, the medium grit wasn’t compacting on me and the roots were spreading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OK looks like I'm gonna try bdbs this weekend. From everything I've researched, this blacks and *should be* as good and much cheaper than eco complete. Like I said, my pfs has been horrible, so I'm now leary of sand.

Should it not work out, I've got plenty of time and will not mind switching over to eco complete. Can't wait to try it out!

Oh and how many bags should I get for a 125?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-13-2018 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 02:19 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
5'x18" footprint? 3 bags will probably do it. If its a long drive to Tractor Supply might wanna get 4 just in case.

Also just want to say after having dozens cories in many different bdbs tanks, Ive never had a single issue.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

6'x18. I was thinking 3 maybe 4 would do.

Plants that are planted will be Amazon swords, tiger Val, water sprite, and wisteria. All of which have done horribly in my pool filter sand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
5'x18" footprint? 3 bags will probably do it. If its a long drive to Tractor Supply might wanna get 4 just in case.

Also just want to say after having dozens cories in many different bdbs tanks, Ive never had a single issue.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
6'x18. I was thinking 3 maybe 4 would do.

Plants that are planted will be Amazon swords, tiger Val, water sprite, and wisteria. All of which have done horribly in my pool filter sand.

IME, Black Diamond also makes a good cap for aqua soil substrates too. So you can kind of have the best of both worlds.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 12:26 AM

I've used BDBS with dirt under it and also used it plain. Never had problems with plants growing. I've used the pool sand and didn't care much for it. It seems to compact more so than the blasting sand. I did have issues with the plants in the pool sand, but that might have just been me doing something wrong. I have a tank now in the process of cycling using the dirt and BDBS. So far it's my favorite substrate. Hope that helps.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I moved to bdbs this weekend. So far, I'm much, much happier!

varanidguy likes this.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 12:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I moved to bdbs this weekend. So far, I'm much, much happier!

Awesome! Did you experience a mini cycle?

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Awesome! Did you experience a mini cycle?
Not yet! Easy switch over. Kept my media wet and didn't lose a fish. Plants are somewhat melting back but I expected that

varanidguy likes this.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 01:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Not yet! Easy switch over. Kept my media wet and didn't lose a fish. Plants are somewhat melting back but I expected that

Yeah, my plants showed stress when switching substrate as well. Keep us posted! Your tank looks awesome in your thread.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks! Now I'm wondering if my lighting is enough. Always something! Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Yeah, my plants showed stress when switching substrate as well. Keep us posted! Your tank looks awesome in your thread.
varanidguy likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode