• 2 Post By hygropunk
  • 2 Post By AdamRT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
RCB
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Other than color, are Tannins harmful

Thought I boiled a piece of African wood root enough to remove tannin. Apparently not since the water is a light Yellowish/Brown color. Its in a 5 gallon tank with a single Betta. Betta seems happy, the PH is 6.8 the Ammonia is 0ppm the Nitrites are 0ppm the Nitrates are 0ppm. The water hardness is.....KH= 4 and the GH =11. The Temperature is a constant 76.7 F and the tank is filtered via a sponge filter.

Aside from the water color which I don't mind am I causing any health or stress issues for the Betta ? If I am Ill do a few water changes and remove the root and replace it with one from another tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 04:15 AM
Algae Grower

Not at all. Bettas come from naturally tannin-stained waters. They can be good for the fish's health also - exactly how is up for debate, but they seem to bring some antifungal/antibacterial benefits. As long as the PH remains stable, it's harmless.
natemcnutty and RCB like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
RCB
Algae Grower

Much obliged for your reply hygropunk. So far, the water parameters have remained the same . My Betta is active, not gasping for air and is as colorful as the day I introduced him to his new home.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Unless there are enough tannins to reduce the light available for the plants, a rare occurrence.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 12:54 PM
Algae Grower

Not only are tannins not harmful, they’re actually extremely beneficial. Some die hard advocates would go so far as to say they are an essential missing link in softwater aquariums. Tannins/Humic/fulvic acids may even play a large role in how fish are able to survive in ultra low ph environments. They are natural chelators that help make nutrients available to plants, they help bind heavy metals, and some botanicals like Indian almond leaf have strong anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.

You always have to be cautious when adding organics to a closed system, but I swear by the use of Indian almond, alder cone, and other humic extracts. Glosso factory makes a nice premade mix call darkwater as does dennerle called Humin Elixir-both if which do not really stain the water too bad. I use both intermittently along with a homemade brew and try to keep a few Indian almond leaves right in the tank.

Don’t fear the tint!
natemcnutty and Euphotica like this.

Experience: worked in fishroom of Eddies Aquarium in Albany all through college, 20 years of keeping reef tanks, planted tanks, and dart frog vivariums.

Current/in-progress tanks: 20 gallon hi tech tank in office, 120 gallon nature/tetra aquarium at home.

Philosophy: work with what you’ve got, and make choices based on the conditions that easiest for you to maintain over time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode