Going from flourite to sand, couple questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Going from flourite to sand, couple questions

I originally setup my 210 with Flourite and am just not happy with it for a couple reason. First, visual appearence, I have setup many small tanks and used sand everytime and have always loved the look and texture of sand. Second, I miss my dojo's and want corries, I had 3 dojo loaches in my tank and found that the flourite just chewed them up. Third, planting ability, you cannot fault sand as a medium to hold plants in place, I have had 1 inch of sand hold plants much better than burrying them 3 inches deep in the flourite, ok enough reasons here are my questions.

I currently use Malaysian Trumpet snails in my current tank, if I continue to use them and keep my sand layer between 2 and 3 inches should I have to worry to much about eruptions? I plan to use osmocoat slow release as my substrate fert so no soils or other fert heavy substrates under the sand.
The common consensus in terms of sands appears to waiver between play sand, pool filter sand and sandblasting sand. What is everyones experience with these different sands and what are your suggestions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 64
90 Gallon Low light/Easy Maintenance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

No responses?

I decided to go with Quikcrete playsand, the pool filter sand was too white. I have used this brand of playsand in many small tanks and just decided to stick with it. Got 250 lbs, should be plenty for my 210.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 64
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Play Sand- too many fines, packs down, leading to anaerobic conditions.

Pool Filter Sand, 30 mesh. Uniform particle size, so least chance of poor circulation.

Blasting sand- have not used it. I understand it comes in graded sizes, same as the pool sand.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 05:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
i actually use quikcrete playsand from home depot in my altum tank. the sand looks kinda of grey when you wash it and not in the light. but once in the tank and the light shines on it. it looks white, not super white but more natural white. i like it a lot. and its not too fine that when disturb it wont fly everywhere.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 05:11 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I would go with poolfilter. Its heavy and doesnt stir up. And its waaaay easier to clean
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonD70s View Post
i actually use quikcrete playsand from home depot in my altum tank. the sand looks kinda of grey when you wash it and not in the light. but once in the tank and the light shines on it. it looks white, not super white but more natural white. i like it a lot. and its not too fine that when disturb it wont fly everywhere.

Makes me wonder if the bags are packaged locally, cause the quikcrete playsand I have always found in AZ has been a very nice tan/brown color.

Member # 64
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesCJ View Post
Makes me wonder if the bags are packaged locally, cause the quikcrete playsand I have always found in AZ has been a very nice tan/brown color.
we have those here too in home depot. but i found the greyish one to be best. i tried getting the tan/brown ones and when i rinse it i noticed theres lil shiny like gold specs in the sand and i dont like the look of it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

ahhh see I love that, adds to the effect of a sand bottom if you ask me

Member # 64
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 03:24 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I recently picked up a 50 Lb bag of Quickcrete "Medium" sandblasting sand and was wondering if I could put it over my flourite layer as well. I have some UG on flourite emersed and wonder if I should have put down a sand cap...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

From what I understand putting a layer of sand on top of any decent amount of flourite will result in the flourite working its way up over time. I did leave a half inch layer of flourite gravel and muck at the bottom of my tank but topped it with 2 inches of sand, hoping that will keep it down for now, plus a little on the surface is not bad to look at.

Member # 64
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 12:40 AM
Planted Member

Question

I'm also interested in changing to sand. In my case, from Eco-Complete. I looked at play sand from Lowes and Home Depot. Kind of a tan-ish color. Next to the play sand at Home Depot was something like beach sand and it said 30 (something...) like the grit (I can't remember...)? I found a small opening near a seam and it was finer than the play sand. Too fine I think. At a local pool supply store, their sand appeared a little more gray and it was $12.99 for a 50lb bag! I bought a 50 lb bag of play sand at Lowes for $4.29. From what I can remember, the pool filter sand was basically the same grit as the play sand. Now I need to put a rinsed sample in water in a jar and put it in the tank to see what it looks like with the aquarium lights on it. I decided the Eco-Complete is too dark and a few of my Discus (the blues) have turned darker as a result. I also have about 1/2 dozen Cories and want them to be comfortable foraging. Eco-Complete is a little rough in my opinion. For the plants, I plan on using root tabs and I dose the water column already, twice a week.

BonesCJ - do you have a picture of your tank now?

Hadn't even considered sand blasting sand....hmmmmm.

155 gallon (low tech) planted (not at the moment, after removing the Eco-Complete) Discus aquarium with 3D AquaTerra background, started in July 2010. EcoComplete substrate is now gone, replaced with sand, Rena XP3 and XP4 for filtration, Catalina 35" T5HO retrofit - 2x39 watt (two units) mounted in overhead canopy. Link to my
for the 155.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have had a sand bed for a while... I never tried the planted substrate for 2 reasons PRICE and my fish selection. I like the homedepot sand and will continue using it.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Thats a lot of flourite in the 210G tank.... do let me know if you decide to sell it, or donate it.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 01:29 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Funny this question came up. I'm actually in the process of setting up my first planted tank. I have all play sand substrate and a pretty elaborate hardscape of all rocks. I was considering adding flourite or eco complete to my tank to help with planting, but I see there are people who are switching to inert play sand???? If that is a possible growing medium I will save myself 100 bucks and not upgrade. I'll be starting with lots of amazon swords in the back to hopefully end up with a big broad leaf wall to begin with, then add lower level plants toward the front and middle.

If I were to just stick with play sand would I need to perhaps put a layer of laterite on the bottom and just supplement that with some root tabs?? What else would i need for moderate growth for medium-low light? no co2 yet. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode