problem with Aquasoil - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
problem with Aquasoil

Ive got several tanks with Aquasoil ( I & II normal & powder ) and I have one that I have a weird issue with--the Aquasoil looks like it has rocks in it---it didnt have that before but for lack of a better description it looks like the dirt melted off and left a rock behind--they are whiteish and lots of them throughout the tank. This has only happened in one tank and it is a tank that has been going through a dry start for a little over a month now with no plants and no fish ( just wet dirt )

Any ideas or others with the same issue? I dont want to complain to ADA if it is normal-I dont like the way it looks at all though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 05:02 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
So is the bad dirt ASI or ASII?

IME ASII is crap. After 6 months it has been slowly crumbling and gets blown around all over my tank because I have cories and dwarf loaches that like to feed off the bottom. If I don't do water changes at least twice a week, my plants get caked in a brown layer of mush by the end of the week. My 2 Eheim filters can only do so much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Im pretty certain this one is ASII. Ive got another tank that has ASII in it and the filters stay nasty with the brown gunk.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've got a few rocks in mine here and there. it doesn't bug me. take a big whiff of it...it's clearly compressed dirt for all intents and purposes...dirt tends to have little rocks. [shrug]
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
Strange. I only have ASI in my tanks and nothing like this has happened so far . . .

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have ASI in my tank and I also have a few rocks in mine. In my tank they are white-ish and slightly transparent. There isn't very many of them though so I never worried about it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
I have ASII in two tanks with absolutely no problems at all. No dust, no rocks, no polluting my filters. Lots of healthy plants and shrimp and fish.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 10:02 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthb4438 View Post
I have ASII in two tanks with absolutely no problems at all. No dust, no rocks, no polluting my filters. Lots of healthy plants and shrimp and fish.
May I ask how long you've had ASII in your tanks and do you dose anything? Also is your water soft or hard?

Thanks,

|
|
|
|
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
I've had the ASII in the tanks for about two years now. No, I don't dose any ferts because it make the algae really come out in full force. I have semi-hard water at about 7.2 but it would be a little harder without the C02. The crew I have of otos, nerites and Amano's help keep everything at a steady pace. I suppose I have been pretty lucky at finding that happy medium. Really, I try not to disturb the substrate much as it causes a lot of "pollution" in the water for a few minutes. The soil seems to be very rich in nutrients. My avatar is a flower from the tiger lotus that seems to love the ASII as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode