My plants: which ones need root tabs in an inert substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
My plants: which ones need root tabs in an inert substrate?

After a failed experiment with plants on driftwood and pots that resulted in an algae farm, I decided to go full planted now. I emptied the whole tank, bleached everything and added 2" of pool filter sand, white in color.

It's an 85g discus tank. Low fish load, with only 4 discus, 5 rummynose, 7 cardinals and 2 albino bushy nose plecos. I'll add some corys, more tetras and a couple of blue rams in the near future.

Here's the list of plants I either already have it or will be adding this week:

Blyxa japonica
Valisneria gigantea
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Staurogyne repens 049
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Alternanthera reineckii Var. Roseafolia
Hygrophila angustifolia
Rotala rotundifolia
Heteranthera zosterfolia (Stargrass)
Hygrophila difformis (Wisteria)
Bacopa australis

Lights:
3x54w T5HO from Catalina. Only using 2 for now.
Pressurized CO2. 20-30ppm.

I'm planning to follow EI fertilization regime and I already have Rootmedic root tabs.

So which of these plant absolutely need root tabs to do well? And which ones would benefit to some extent, but could certainly live without?

I also have Fissidens fontanus and Anubias Nana on driftwood, finishing off my list of plants.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Plants don't absolutely need root fertilization. All plants can take in nutrients through the leaves, so dosing the water can fill all of their nutrient needs. If you fertilize both the substrate and the water, the plants can get nutrients from two sources, and you can be a little more carefree about dosing the water. So, using both methods of fertilizing is probably the best bet.

Hoppy
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Plants don't absolutely need root fertilization. All plants can take in nutrients through the leaves, so dosing the water can fill all of their nutrient needs. If you fertilize both the substrate and the water, the plants can get nutrients from two sources, and you can be a little more carefree about dosing the water. So, using both methods of fertilizing is probably the best bet.
Yeah, I thought it would be good to ask since I didn't have any swords and crypts.

But assuming I don't want to use root tabs on all the plants, can you narrow down which ones would benefit more? Or maybe it doesn't matter and it's all based on preference.

My initial plan was to use my root tabs on the Staurogyne repens and HC.

Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode