Dirt for tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dirt for tank

Hello,

I’ve been reading a few threads on different sites that counter other sites. From what i’ve read, organic soil lower the Ph and when adding clay, it can lead to metal toxicity. is that true? I also was planning in using potting mix(both miracle grow) but, it contain “fertilizers that are harmful to fish” Im not sure which exact ferts they meant.

To my question: Do i need to remineralize the soil? Or can I just dump the soil in, after I sift the larger wood chips. I also was reading the reviews on miracle grow organic soil, and a majority of the people were saying that the whole bag was mostly wood chips. Any specific soil you guys would recommend? I would want to avoid remineralizing the soil as this is supposed to be a cheap way and buying muriate of potash, dolomite, blood and bones and clay would kinda make it pointless.

Also, I have a question about lighting, my tank is a 46 bowfront (21” tall). I was planning on buying the beamswork DA 6500k, good choice? Or would the Da Fspec be better, to get better light towards the bottom? The plants I plan on buying:
L. Ovalis
L. Broadleaf
L. needle leaf
R. Indica
Hygro augustifolia
Apongeton lace plants and a bunch of different crypts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 08:46 PM
Algae Grower

Hello. I don't think Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil is produced anymore or at least sold where I live. I use Miracle Grow Organic Raised-bed Potting Soil in my 5 gallon walstad. As for mineralizing, I have not mineralized my soil and only used a screen to filter out big chunks of wood and peat. I have had my tank for a little over a month and I think things have worked out well so far.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdOfShrimp View Post
Hello. I don't think Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil is produced anymore or at least sold where I live. I use Miracle Grow Organic Raised-bed Potting Soil in my 5 gallon walstad. As for mineralizing, I have not mineralized my soil and only used a screen to filter out big chunks of wood and peat. I have had my tank for a little over a month and I think things have worked out well so far.
Ah, yes, sorry. I meant mircale grow natures care organic garden soil, the green bag. Im hoping that one is fine? What else did you add to your dirt? What plants are you growing?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 09:24 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaBryan View Post
Ah, yes, sorry. I meant mircale grow natures care organic garden soil, the green bag. Im hoping that one is fine? What else did you add to your dirt? What plants are you growing?
I added nothing to my dirt except a finer (gravel 2mm-4mm) cap 1:1 inch ratio. I am growing

Rotala indica (grows really well)
Rotala nanjenshan (grows really well)
Ludwigia peruensis
Microsword (starting to send runners now)
Crypt wendtii (acclimating to excel dosage, there was a bit melting but newer leaves doing well)
Dwarf Sagittaria
Water Wisteria (grows well).
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaBryan View Post
I added nothing to my dirt except a finer (gravel 2mm-4mm) cap 1:1 inch ratio. I am growing

Rotala indica (grows really well)
Rotala nanjenshan (grows really well)
Ludwigia peruensis
Microsword (starting to send runners now)
Crypt wendtii (acclimating to excel dosage, there was a bit melting but newer leaves doing well)
Dwarf Sagittaria
Water Wisteria (grows well).
So would that dirt be fine for my tank? How many bags would I need to get 1 1/2 - 2 inches of dirt in my tank? And would the beamswork DA 6500K get good lighting at the bottom of my tank? (sorry for all the questions, although i’ve done a bunch of reading on this topic, it seems like there’s a bunch of mixed feelings about dirting a tank).
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 09:10 PM
Planted Member

I had a bag of mircale grow natures care organic garden soil. I let it soak in a bin for 3 months in my basement over the winter. About once a month I'd drain the water and fill it back up. I let it dry out in the sun in 90 digree heat for a day. I spread it out on a black garbage bag. I haven't tried it yet but it looks good to use. It looks like most of the heavy organic stuff has broken down. I just don't have a tank to set it up with right now. I think it would be good to use. After drying it out I sifted all of the sticks and stones out of it. There was quite a bit. After all of this it was just a brown powder dirt.

I've read of people dumping the stuff directly into the tank but I think soaking it would be a better option and save you a lot of headaches. I'll get you a picture of what it looks like after soaking and drying. I'll upload it later tonight.

Heres some photo's

This is before soaking straight out of the bag

This is after the soak

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-01-2018 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:02 PM
Algae Grower

That looks really chunky for a wetted soil. I don't think you should using garden soil but rather potting soil. I found the new alternative to the MGOPS to be the Miracle Grow Organic RAISED BED Soil.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:09 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
That looks really chunky for a wetted soil. I don't think you should using garden soil but rather potting soil. I found the new alternative to the MGOPS to be the Miracle Grow Organic RAISED BED Soil.
Most of the dried stuff are tiny dirt balls the size of aquasoil. The stuff crumbles between your finger tips. I just didn't break it up because once I wet it it's all going to turn to mud. The photos make it look bigger then what it actually is.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
What’s the difference between all 3 soils? I think I will get the raised bed soil. Although, I don’t think the soil would matter, as long as it was sifted and added a source of nutrients. I’m thinking of adding osmocote plus, a bit spread around before the soil then some clay every few inches on top of soil. For the cap im going to use regular gravel and eco complete mixed. How does that sound?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode