Any experience with either of these planted/shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By madcrafted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Any experience with either of these planted/shrimp

Starting up a 24g jbj planted shrimp tank. Looking at substrate I know a lot of people swear by ADA and Fluval but I was looking to see if any one else has tried some thing else with good success. Foster n smith having a sale on Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit Plant Substrate but also saw UPaqua substrate that some one tried and had good results.

Also the tank is going to be a iwagumi aquascape style growing either Monte Carlo/Eleocharis parvula/or Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and some AR mini to cut up the green here and there.

So any help or links to this specific type of topic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA Amazonia= great for plants and Neocaridina shrimp (maybe some CRS and Tiger shrimp if you use remineralized RO/DI water)

Fluval Stratum= no real nutrition for plants, weakest of the buffering substrates that is supposedly geared towards Caridina shrimp.

Brightwell/Controsoil= no real nutrition for plants but an excellent buffering substrate for Caridina shrimp when used with remineralized RO/DI water.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
ADA Amazonia= great for plants and Neocaridina shrimp (maybe some CRS and Tiger shrimp if you use remineralized RO/DI water)

Fluval Stratum= no real nutrition for plants, weakest of the buffering substrates that is supposedly geared towards Caridina shrimp.

Brightwell/Controsoil= no real nutrition for plants but an excellent buffering substrate for Caridina shrimp when used with remineralized RO/DI water.

Thanks for the reply..I did forget to mention that Iím gonna have neocaridina shrimp (blue velvet). Have co2 and dose with liquid ferts..wonít be using rodi water..

Thanks for the input..didnít know fluval was subpar when it came to substrate when so many people use it

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patfat View Post
Thanks for the reply..I did forget to mention that I’m gonna have neocaridina shrimp (blue velvet). Have co2 and dose with liquid ferts..won’t be using rodi water..

Thanks for the input..didn’t know fluval was subpar when it came to substrate when so many people use it
Yeah, the Fluval works like the other buffering substrates... at first. However, it loses it's buffering ability much faster than any of the others (6-8 months). Once this starts to happen, it becomes unsuitable for Caridina breeding. The shrimps won't die off right away but they won't exactly thrive either.

For keeping Neocaridinas, the fluval stuff could work, especially using tap water. The buffering won't last long with anything over a KH of 3. It'll just end up being an overpriced inert substrate at the end of the day. You'd be better off just using pool filter sand or BDBS for all that. If you want nutrition from your substrate for rooted plants and be able to use tap water, go with ADA. If you don't mind dosing those liquid ferts from the beginning, any inert substrate would be fine... minus anything with fine particles that become packed and anaerobic (fine sand).
patfat likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
Yeah, the Fluval works like the other buffering substrates... at first. However, it loses it's buffering ability much faster than any of the others (6-8 months). Once this starts to happen, it becomes unsuitable for Caridina breeding. The shrimps won't die off right away but they won't exactly thrive either.

For keeping Neocaridinas, the fluval stuff could work, especially using tap water. The buffering won't last long with anything over a KH of 3. It'll just end up being an overpriced inert substrate at the end of the day. You'd be better off just using pool filter sand or BDBS for all that. If you want nutrition from your substrate for rooted plants and be able to use tap water, go with ADA. If you don't mind dosing those liquid ferts from the beginning, any inert substrate would be fine... minus anything with fine particles that become packed and anaerobic (fine sand).

Alright I appreciate the help! Ya Iím not keeping any thing crazy like crystals or stuff like that just nice and simple. I thought you needed one of those types of substrates for keeping shrimp..I mean I get it that it helps but not totally necessary! Well I should have mentioned I donít mind putting root tabs in. I just figured having a substrate to help with feeding nutrients to the plants itís just doing double duty! Ya I donít want to use sand..used it before it worked but didnít really care for it just wanted to try some thing different! Now itís more of do I wanna pay the hefty price of ads or go some thing a little cheaper that will work all in all.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

in the end I went with brightwell. got a 15lb bag for $25 (reg price $50) as dr. foster and smith is having a big sale. so hopefully one bag is enough for my 24jbj

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode