Can I add this to my gravel ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Can I add this to my gravel ?

Hi, I have about 2 in. of large gravel, can i add this product, carib sea flora max , I think its 20 lbs and says it can be mixed with gravel, thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 02:54 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Absolutely.

Personally, however, I do not like the look of mixed substrates. Also, be aware that if the substrate sizes are significantly different, the larger particle substrate will eventually end up on top.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Two ways to go here.
If you want the look of the gravel, then I would gradually remove the gravel until you have an inch or so, and more than an inch of the plant specific substrate.
I generally do not cap any substrate. They mix anyway, then sort themselves out, then mix again.. what a mess!

I would bite the bullet and remove all the gravel and simply go with the other substrate.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Hi, thanks for the replys, i didnt want to spend the money on new substrate, I bought seachems florite ? AT petsmart, I read that you better rinse it out well, I did half a bag at a time it was like they mixed dirt in with the substate ! LOL, brown dirt. After 10 times of mixing it in the bucket and putting it in with the gravel and mixing the 2 together what a brown cloud in my tank so 2 more water changes and it 50 % better with filter floss to help, it looks nice got the red color and now 3 in. of substate...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode