2Likes
  • 2 Post By Quagulator
  • 2 Post By discuspaul

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this pool filter sand okay?

I currently have a 35 gallon tank that I am transition to sand and trying my hand at some low tech plants.

I had a hard time finding pool filter sand locally. Both Walmart and Home Depot locally had none. I found some at Canadian Tire (a Canadian hardware/automotive store for those of you not in the great white north,) but after I bought it it’s not exactly what I’ve seen in lots of build threads and how to videos.

It’s .45-.55mm in size, and is much more white coloured than I’ve seen before.

I realize that’s on the low end for size and that it will be more challenging to clean the tank because of it, but anything else I should be concerned with? And how do you guys figure this’ll look in a tank? Nice and carribean tropical, or super unnatural?

Here’s a couple photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D9A9DDAC-2EA9-4B16-A036-BF0DF1EABDA8_1529647517822.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	863689  

Name:	98709008-DE82-49F2-89A3-367F28993D3E_1529647622996.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	863697  

Name:	98687D26-46F0-4B2C-9C5E-03D48C03E18D_1529647637597.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	863705  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 12:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It looks really fine. You might have some issues with anaerobic gas pockets. I used to buy mine from Tropical Pool and Spa but eventually found it cheaper through a local well drilling company.

The colour will be a personal preference. I originally did my tank with white sand. I liked the look for a while but a dark substrate makes the colours of the plants and fish pop a lot more, and it's very tough to get good pictures with a white substrate as it always looks soooo bright.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Retired)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 12:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

TSC has "black industrial sand" ... I've got 3 bags that will be used when I re-do my 90 gal. It's a bit more expensive ($15 a bag or so) but the SDS sheet is extremely similar to our southern friend's "black diamond" brand blasting sand, looks the exact same. Coal slag.... If you're after the black look of course.

https://www.tscstores.com/50LB-KE-B2...AND-P4428.aspx
MCFC and MCFC like this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 01:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looks good to me. Hard to compare the grain size to the HTH brand I get from Ace Hardware.

I'd actually rather use that in my tanks as it has a cleaner/whiter look. The HTH brand is more natural in color.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That’s the other thing. They were 12.99 Canadian for a 20 lbs bag. I bought 3 for the 35, which is probably overkill but I can return one if I need to.

I saw lots of how to videos saying they get a 50 lbs bag for 5 - 10 bucks... not that I could find!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 02:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Duke View Post
I currently have a 35 gallon tank that I am transition to sand and trying my hand at some low tech plants.

I had a hard time finding pool filter sand locally. Both Walmart and Home Depot locally had none. I found some at Canadian Tire (a Canadian hardware/automotive store for those of you not in the great white north,) but after I bought it it’s not exactly what I’ve seen in lots of build threads and how to videos.

It’s .45-.55mm in size, and is much more white coloured than I’ve seen before.

I realize that’s on the low end for size and that it will be more challenging to clean the tank because of it, but anything else I should be concerned with? And how do you guys figure this’ll look in a tank? Nice and carribean tropical, or super unnatural?

Here’s a couple photos.
I use this stuff in my shrimp tank, love it. Heavy enough to not get stirred up at all, no concerns about it entering my filter.
As it ages in the tank, it won't stay that super clean white color. The surface will brown just a little bit in my experience, it looks very good though. I have loads of MTS in the shrimp tank to keep it turned over regularly, prevent any gas buildup.

Here's a link to my tank - https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...rimp-tank.html
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Excellent looking tank!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
I use this stuff in my shrimp tank, love it. Heavy enough to not get stirred up at all, no concerns about it entering my filter.
As it ages in the tank, it won't stay that super clean white color. The surface will brown just a little bit in my experience, it looks very good though. I have loads of MTS in the shrimp tank to keep it turned over regularly, prevent any gas buildup.

Here's a link to my tank - https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...rimp-tank.html

Nothing wrong with AquaQuartz PFS - and it's an excellent # 20 grade size/density - been using that grade in my discus tanks for years - except it's a generic brand - but exactly the same color - obtained from a local pool supply store for $13. incl. tax for a 50 lb. bag.

BTW, when it starts to discolor after 3-4 months or so, just siphon out the top layer of sand - approx. 10% or so, and replace the amount that's been removed with some new sand - presto - just like new for another 4 months!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post

mgeorges and mgeorges like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode