Petco sand as dirted tank cap? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Nlewis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Petco sand as dirted tank cap?

Would petco or petsmart sand be a good cap for a dirted tank? Should I use black or white sand?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 08:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't see why it wouldn't work - color is a personal choice.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
I don't see why it wouldn't work - color is a personal choice.
I’ve read that using sand isn’t good idea for a dirted tank.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 09:14 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaBryan View Post
Iíve read that using sand isnít good idea for a dirted tank.
I would argue that a cap would help keep the nutrients in the soil from leeching into the water column, but you can definitely have too much of a sand cap. I have a cap on my dirted tank and it has been very beneficial.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 09:30 PM
Planted Member

I use Petco small natural gravel as a cap for my dirted bottom tank and it works well. I haven't used sand as a cap myself but it seems like I have run into many on this site that have used a sand cap.

You will get some dirt particles that will get pulled above the sand cap when rearranging plants etc. These particles will be much more noticeable on a light sand than on a dark sand. But like it was stated above the color sand you choose is pretty much personal choice.... as long as you don't use fluorescent pink!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 09:34 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oughtsix View Post
But like it was stated above the color sand you choose is pretty much personal choice.... as long as you don't use fluorescent pink!
If you choose pink you will feel one of the purest forms of regret that can be felt by mankind
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 10:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Would petco or petsmart sand be a good cap for a dirted tank? Should I use black or white sand?!
Do yourself a favor and save some money. If you want a natural/white color pick up some pool filter sand. You can get a 50lb bag for under $10 at Walmart. If black is what you decide on, Black Diamond blasting abrasive can be purchased from your local Tractor Supply. Itís generally about $10 for a 50lb bag.
psalm18.2 and psalm18.2 like this.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilanterepoman View Post
Quote:
I would argue that a cap would help keep the nutrients in the soil from leeching into the water column, but you can definitely have too much of a sand cap. I have a cap on my dirted tank and it has been very beneficial.
Eh iím not saying I would rather not have a cap but thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
Quote:
Do yourself a favor and save some money. If you want a natural/white color pick up some pool filter sand. You can get a 50lb bag for under $10 at Walmart. If black is what you decide on, Black Diamond blasting abrasive can be purchased from your local Tractor Supply. Itís generally about $10 for a 50lb bag.
I have seen many people recommend that. Unfortunately it is not sold anywhere near me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oughtsix View Post
I use Petco small natural gravel as a cap for my dirted bottom tank and it works well. I haven't used sand as a cap myself but it seems like I have run into many on this site that have used a sand cap.

You will get some dirt particles that will get pulled above the sand cap when rearranging plants etc. These particles will be much more noticeable on a light sand than on a dark sand. But like it was stated above the color sand you choose is pretty much personal choice.... as long as you don't use fluorescent pink!
Yeah thatís what I worried about. I think it should be fine as long as I donít move he tank decor around too much. Thanks!

I might use pink with yellow gravel in that case! jk! LOL

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-22-2018 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 12:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

Using sand as a cap is extremely common in dirted tanks. If youíre a little paranoid about it (like I am), you could always pay the extra money for proper aqua soil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode