anyone know anything about flora base? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
anyone know anything about flora base?

I got a new 10 gallon and i don't like cleaning flourite so i'm gonna use eco-complete probably or flora base. But do u have to clean flora base and does anyone have any experience with it because its like $25 CAD for a bag which is 50% off reg price. Also it keeps ph at around 6.5-7 which sounds really nice but do i have to clean this stuff? and does it have all the nutrients like flourite or ecocomplete?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 07:07 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have Florabase and you don't need to wash it much at all, maybe one or two rinses. Definitely not like washing Flourite...augh. As for the substrate at first I really liked the texture and the pH buffering, but then over time you will find out that it starts to degrade and I don't like that. It is also very light which makes it difficult to get some plants started. I have no experience with Eco-complete.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 06:17 PM

I have Florabase in a 25 gal tank that's a month old. I didn't rinse it. Any movement causes bad clouding, but it settles and clears up. Soft, light, very easy to plant in. Lowers my pH by 0.4, KH by 3. Plants grow well, but it's supposed to deplete after about a year. This is just an experiment for me, only time will tell if it's a good choice.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I have not used Florabase but know a couple of people who have. It seems that it breaks down in around a year and turns to mush. I know when it first hit the market I looked at it and was able to crush it between my fingers. Besides I hate the color.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 07:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I have similar complaints, as do at least 3 good friends, it does well for the short term, I greatly prefer heavy fine textured substrates.
Some folks don't mind replacing it once a year or so.

I do.
EC will last longer, still light weight though.
Better color if you are looking for a dark substrate.

Regards.
Tom Barr

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 07:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
?BTW, the ADA substrates are made by the same folks that make FB from what I understand but Amano claims, I'm going to test it to see, that this degradation does not occur. Few have done the ADA substrates for that long(1-2+ years) here in the USA. I had some back in 1997, I had issues with the weight also, but I'm going to re evaluate it again in a more controlled manner and for the long term.

ADG is now selling it in the USA.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 10:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Isn't it the same as Aquasoil, so it must seem that Aquasoil is simply a base fert which supplies nutrients for the break in period...maybe that's why using Powersand it recommened to help "recycle" nutrients.

But what really seems odd is that the powdered Aquasoil is $10 more, I mean isn't the normal Aquasoil easily crushed into powder?!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 11:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
For what its worth, a semi-professional aquarist who operates in greater Vancouver (maintaining planted tanks in some of the area's major aquarium shops), uses FB in all his aquariums. He recommended the product to me, saying that the manufacturer's threat that the product needs to be replaced every year is just a revenue generating tactic and, in his experience, is false. He claims to have flourishing tanks that have had FB in them for over three years.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

hmmm maybe i should of got florabase than but too late i pre ordered a bag of eco-complete for $30CAD which is considered on sale up here. Also they didn't have any florabase left and i don't like the color too much

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode