• 1 Post By gilya
  • 1 Post By zmartin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
substituting an active aquarium

Hi,

I would like an advice and recommendation.

I have an aquarium 130 50 60 (attached picture)

I would like to replace the substrate in the back and central area of ​​the aquarium to a planting substrate.

At the moment there is a mixed, non-quality blended bed.

I understand that substituting an active aquarium to an amazonian platform has the risk of death by releasing high amounts of ammonia at the time of insert the substrate.

[censored]What planting substrate can fit an active aquarium with fish. Simply aspirate the existing substrate, cut the ADA bag of the appropriate substrate at the aquarium floor level perhaps in different sections over a long period of time over two weeks or at a time.

How can you help me to solve substrate replacement without damaging the fish?

What kind of Planting substrate Would suit the case ?

Br,

Gil

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Discusluv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No comments ....
So I will ask 1 more question....
If I want to create a higher level of soil ...can I make a
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilya View Post
Hi,

I would like an advice and recommendation.

I have an aquarium 130 50 60 (attached picture)

I would like to replace the substrate in the back and central area of ​​the aquarium to a planting substrate.

At the moment there is a mixed, non-quality blended bed.

I understand that substituting an active aquarium to an amazonian platform has the risk of death by releasing high amounts of ammonia at the time of insert the substrate.

[censored]What planting substrate can fit an active aquarium with fish. Simply aspirate the existing substrate, cut the ADA bag of the appropriate substrate at the aquarium floor level perhaps in different sections over a long period of time over two weeks or at a time.

How can you help me to solve substrate replacement without damaging the fish?

What kind of Planting substrate Would suit the case ?

Br,

Gil

Is it possible to use substrate plants on an elevated substrate?

Can I produce hills on the bottom of the aquarium with gravel and the amazonia substrate will lay on the gravel hills?

The planting soil will fall to the bottom during the time ?

Or should the entire height of the hill be from a planting substrate (very expensive)

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have the same concern. I hope someone will answer your questions.
In my case I want to use ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia LIGHT in an established aquarium with fish.
Would daily wayter changes of 50% be adequate to control the rising levels of ammonia or would it be best to use another type of soil?

All Low-tech:
180 g. w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild red spotted green discus
30 g. Shrimp Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Flex 9 gallon- Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Spec 3- Golden Bee shrimp
30 g. Quarantine/Hospital

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 02:35 AM
Algae Grower

I just started an aquarium with Amazonia and the the amount of ammonia was quite significant for a number of weeks. The Amazon instructions (sorry canít find a link) say to prepare replacement substrate outside of the tank. A spare tank? Plastic tub? You will need to replace water regularly until the ammonia comes under control.

- Drain and refill the first fill
- regular (50% every second day) for the first two weeks

If replacing sections of the substrate this might allow you to introduce the Amazonia to the tank a bit earlier. But monitor the tank and allow the tank time to adjust before introducing more.

In theory the substrate buffers to a ph of 6.5. Which would reduce toxicity. Though this will take time / risk of toxicity if changing with tap. Dose with prime during the changeover in case.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Discusluv likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
This helps a lot, thank you. I think ill add a bit of substrate at a time and do water changes daily. That way Ill ensure the ammonia levels never get too high. I did order the "Light" Amazonia, which it says doesn't leech out as quickly as the other Amazonia soil.

All Low-tech:
180 g. w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild red spotted green discus
30 g. Shrimp Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Flex 9 gallon- Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Spec 3- Golden Bee shrimp
30 g. Quarantine/Hospital

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 10:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can get substrates that don't leach ammonia - I think JBL AquaBasis is one. Either way that's going to be a pretty major change so I wouldn't do it with the fish in. It's going to make a big mess. You want some big buckets/storage boxes. Remove the fish and plants into them, clear out the current substrate and replace it, replant plants, let it settle and re-add the fish. Keep the filters running on the fishes storage buckets whilst you do it.

If you really want to use the ADA stuff, I would look at setting up somewhere else for your fish for a month or so to let the ammonia spike clear. Adding substrate a little at a time will make a big mess, take ages and still risk effecting the fish. Pick up a second hand aquarium or use a couple of big storage boxes as temporary holding tanks.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Why Keep the filters running on the fishes storage buckets ?
The filter should run in the main aquarium without the fish inside .

The fish in the bucket will survive 3 weeks in the temporary bucket with the same water or you can make a little water change for them.

Am i right ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsin View Post
You can get substrates that don't leach ammonia - I think JBL AquaBasis is one. Either way that's going to be a pretty major change so I wouldn't do it with the fish in. It's going to make a big mess. You want some big buckets/storage boxes. Remove the fish and plants into them, clear out the current substrate and replace it, replant plants, let it settle and re-add the fish. Keep the filters running on the fishes storage buckets whilst you do it.

If you really want to use the ADA stuff, I would look at setting up somewhere else for your fish for a month or so to let the ammonia spike clear. Adding substrate a little at a time will make a big mess, take ages and still risk effecting the fish. Pick up a second hand aquarium or use a couple of big storage boxes as temporary holding tanks.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Why Keep the filters running on the fishes storage buckets ?
The filter should run in the main aquarium without the fish inside .

The fish in the bucket will survive 3 weeks in the temporary bucket with the same water or you can make a little water change for them.
The filter bacteria are feeding from the fish waste. If you separate them out for 3 weeks the bacteria will starve and the fish water won't be filtered (you'd need to do a lot of water changes!). Better to run the filter on the same container as the fish.

The filter also needs to stay running to keep the bacteria alive - that's not possible on a tank you've emptied the water out of to change the substrate.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ו
כככ

Last edited by gilya; 07-11-2018 at 03:04 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode