• 2 Post By Deanna
  • 2 Post By natemcnutty
  • 4 Post By houseofcards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Please recommend substrate

May anyone with experience with Dwarf Hairgrass recommend me a good substrate for a 40-gal aquarium? It would be wonderful because I am getting some Dwarf Hairgrass shipped.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 10:14 PM
Algae Grower

Can't go wrong with Ada Amazonia. Just planted a 145 with it and am also growing dwart hairgrass

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Sarpijk and Sarpijk like this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 10:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have lots of DHG, but it isn't substrate dependent. however, it likes high light.

I, personally, believe that inert substrate is the best. It never needs to be replaced and ALL nutrients can be dosed via the water column. In my case, I have an inch of CaribSea's Sunset Gold sand under two inches of their Peace River. Both offer excellent circulation and I happen to like the look of the Peace River.

There are certainly cheaper options and I'll let others point those out.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I grow DHG in both Amazonia and blasting sand. Giving ample CO2 is your best guarantee of success. I can grow a carpet in the 30-40 PAR range as long as CO2 and all other nutrients are good.
Deanna and Deanna like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have been growing mini DHG in sand substrate for nearly a year now. CO2, good light, and only water column dosing. Big fan of Black Diamond Blasting Sand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 11:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Once you go AS, you'll never go back . I did inert for years and finally gave AS a try. For growing carpets there is no comparison.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 04:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
I've used ADA Amazonia in the past and its great stuff. I'm currently using Tropica's plant substrate now and its comparable to ADA. I slightly prefer Tropica because it doesn't have that huge ammonia spike in the beginning of setup. It also hold up very well with constant replanting. Can't go wrong with both though. I'd check out some of the journals on here that successfully grow plants and see what they use. Sometimes one sort of substrate is better suited than another depending on use.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
If your not going to be using pressurized co2 then do not use an inert substrate, probably dirt would give you the best chance of success with DHG since it produces co2.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yea. My dirted 10 gallon is doing great. Always pearling and growing rampantly.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 09:41 PM
Algae Grower

I use eco complete and i can tell you it’s no good for hairgrass. Difficult to plant and doesn’t grow well, must of it is dying in my tank. (Although it may be from lack of co2, since I have good lights and ferts regime).
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:55 PM

I’m also new to planted tanks, and aquariums in general, but I can say that DHG is the first carpeting plant I’ve managed to not kill, and even propogate.

I have it in a 5 gallon hex with DIY (yeast) co2, a nicrew light from amazon, and an off-brand eco-complete from petsmart. Minimal ferts, 8 hour photoperiod. It seems to be doing pretty well. There was a lot of die-off just after I planted as new immersed leaves grew and the old emersed leaves died, but they’re almost as full now as when I planted.

Currently getting it going in a 10g with almost identical conditions, but a little more co2 and water column dosing. I’d put this plant in a medium light category, however, high light (combined with boosted co2 and ferts) will get you faster growth

Tags
plant, plant advice, substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode