Miracle Gro - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Miracle Gro

Hi, I was wondering if there is a difference between Miracle Gro potting soil and Potting mix?

Im looking to use the suggested Miracle Gro Organic Potting soil as my base substrate, but can only find the Potting mix, and was wondering if this is the same or if not would this work also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
You can use the organic potting mix. Just sift out the big bits.

"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 12:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
I wouldn't use any Miracle Gro product if i was you. It's made for terrestrial plants not aquariums so it's going to have allot of stuff in it besides dirt and pine mulch (which is 90% of it) so you would have to cap it with a regular gravel no matter what. I've used it and you can grow great plants with it but it's not for beginners. If you break that cap for any reason you will cloud your water with some pretty nasty stuff. Personally I won't use it again since buying a 50lb bag of natural potting soil from a landscaping store is cheaper than a big box store product.

- Brad

Proud member of the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
regular potting mix has inorganic ferts and perlite (floats like none other) so it isn't good for a soil tank. If you cant fine the Organic Choice Potting Mix then just go with a bag of topsoil.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for your replies....

Bradac56- so after your experience, your suggesting that the best choice is to use natural potting soil?

For the cap layer I will use reg natural gravel but just sure sure what the best choice for the soil layer is?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
The Miracle Gro Organic Choice is fine. It's the one in the orange bag. No added ferts. I've got it right now in my 46 and 90gal tanks. I capped mine with 1-2" of a Flourite mix and it's working great.

You do NOT want to use the "regular" Miracle Gro products (in the green and yellow bags) as they have lots of added ferts and will release ammonia and other problematic/toxic stuff in your tank.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Lauraleellbp appreciate the reply and help.

I was going to do the same with capping it with a mix of Flourite and reg gravel mix over the soil.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
That should work well.

I added just enough water to dampen the Miracle Gro before capping it, that helped hold it down in place. It's super lightweight, otherwise.

Keep a net handy to skim off floating stuff as you fill the tank. You'll get alot floating debris at first, but once it's all settled it, shouldn't see much if any after that.

I did have clouding for about a week in my 90gal- but I think it was the normal bacteria bloom that happens most times when you do a big substrate disturbal, and the tank is crystal clear now. I didn't have clouding at all in my 46gal.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode